Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad???? >

Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad????

Notices

Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad????

Old 04-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad????

Superbike and street performance are totally different. Most of the rotors that are crossed drilled are for looks and because that is what people think looks cool on their street vehicle. I refuse to produce them but many of my dealers will buy my standard rotor and drill them. Their reasoning is that is what their customers want and they sell them replacement pads and rotors twice as often.

Slotting will help with the out gassing but only a few slots are necessary. Superbikes were looking for lightweight and performance and were replacing components as needed. Performance was the main concern and lightweight also played into performance. longevity was not something that was an issue if the components would last an event.

In circle track and road course racing in a 4 wheel vehicle, we see issues with the drilled rotors grenading after extended usage and we see uneven wear patterns due to the lack of even amounts of friction surface. You will also see cracks radiating from the holes.

One of the biggest issues with the braking system is heat removal. Superbikes have excellent ventilation. Most 4 wheel vehicles have brake systems tucked behind the wheel with little to no ventilation. By drilling a rotor you remove mass and will causing overheating at an earlier point and you are taking away material in effect immediately decreasing the life span of the rotor.

The larger amount of contact that you have between the rotor and pad the better the system will work. A few slots/grooves (not completely through the rotor face) will keep the friction material faced off and will allow for out-gassing of the pads. Out-gassing is also not as much of an issue with pads today as it was in years past.

I see many pads that racers complain about bad material and the surface of the pad will look like a "Ruffles" potato chip. Every time it is because of drilled rotors.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Well....do I ever stand corrected.......thanks for bringing me up to speed!!.....I really appriciate it.......Im not surprised about how far out of date I was......In the Superbike days brake pad technology changed on almost on a monthly basis........I think I would go with the Carbon Metallic pads......do you know if they make pads for a 94 GMC 2500 series 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban.........should I change the rear shoes???
Old 04-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Registered

That is a common pad and they all have ones that will fit. On my 95 1500 Sub, I ran the PFC z-rated pads with very good success. I was running Hawk pads on my wifes car and am still running them on my dually. I just installed a set of the Satisfied on my wifes car to see how they perform. Sometimes it comes to personal preference. The Hawk pads have made some additional noise during braking but not offensive. I find that I have to release the pressure after I pass the initial braking during a normal stop.

I believe that the PFC pads are available from AutoZone. The Hawk pads are available in some areas from PepBoys and I believe that all of them are available from www.tirerack.com

Correct rotor finish and proper bedding (per the pad manufactures recommendation) and you should have better brake performance. I had good success from the AC Delco and Raybestos shoes for the rear.

Good luck, Todd
Old 04-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

I use EGR brakes, he has complete systems from the master cyl. to the slotted rotors. The pads are carbon/kevlar. My work truck is a 3500 CTD Dodge, that weighs in at around 8700 lbs. I used to go through "lifetime warranty"front pads every 12,000 mi. and rotors at 24,000. Since I switched to a complete EGR system I got 45,000 out of the pads and 80,000+ out of the rotors. No BS just the facts.1-800-468-2279
Old 05-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Registered

anyone ever try the Carbon Metallic "Z Rated"........?????
Old 05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Registered

Is PFC and Carbon Metallic the same company...........oooops!!

sometimes ya gotta spell it out to me

doug
Old 05-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Re: Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad????

All good info..
But...
I had a '00 3500 CCD4x4... Terrible brakes.
I think that there is a fix for that with some different Master Cyl... That was the word on the dtreet...
The stocker doesn't work the rear brakes much...

Maybe you could do a search on some GM websites and find out more..
Just a thought.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 05-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Registered

Some people played with the masters but if you needed more rear brake, which most did, it was the proportioning valve that was the issue. I know the Sub had some TSB's about prop valves and different shoes/pads.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Registered

We own a mighty auto parts franchise, and I don't care for all thier parts but their brakes are awsome. We offer a ceramic pad and crossdrilled vented rotor for most apps. that are AWSOME! and affordable. The rotors are the same exact composite as the nascar rotors we make for them.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2500HD with the factory brakes on it.. and turned 54000 miles today.. they look like they have at least 20000-30000 more miles left on the pads! I Cant believe the wear im getting out of them...

Quick Reply: Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.