Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad???? >

Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad????

Notices

Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad????

Old 04-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad????

Pulled the boat out of storage last night......had the rotors/pads changed on the truck over the winter.......had to stop at the bottom of a big hill on the way home.......all I smelled was BRAKES!!!.....this isnt going to work.....never did that last year.....last yr it had the pads that the truck came with, dont know what they were......
the truck is a 94 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4........I know there is Carbon Metallic and Ceramic out these days......any suggestions??......was also thinking of having a few holes drilled in the discs.......doug
Old 04-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad????

My 2002 Chevy Avalanche 2500 OEM front rotors warped BAD. I replaced them with front Brembo Rotors and Hawk Pads all the way around. I definately recommend this package. I had Ceramic on my Tahoe, and Carbon Metallic as well. I think the CM were better, but they were dirtier on the rims.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-21-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawk pads are great I wouldn't have anything else!
Old 04-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Registered

Don't forget to check your trailer brakes also. You may have smoked the truck's brakes because the trailer's brakes were not working right.

Also, how dirty is your fluid? It's cheap and easy to change, and most of us don't do it very often. Not that that affects the smoked brakes, but does add to a mushy feel and decreased braking ability.

Personally, I use Ceramic pads, and like them. Never have tried the big dollar racing brakes through. Might like them too. I had 97 suburban, and it had awful brakes from the factory. Ceramic pads improved it a bunch.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chart
I had 97 suburban, and it had awful brakes from the factory.Ceramic pads improved it a bunch.
what brand of ceramic pads did you have.....?????
Old 04-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pull my trigger
what brand of ceramic pads did you have.....?????
CarQuest auto parts store brand. It's all I've bought for several years now, on the suburban, the Mrs's BMW, and the Excursion that replaced the suburban. Just on the front through. Not sure if I've ever replaced rear pads on anything? Huh...? How 'bout that. Anyway, they work well on all our vehicles, and as was stated above, they also have less dust, so your front wheels stay cleaner. That's a bonus to me, but secondary to good braking. Most important, they are less likely to fade or smoke than OEM brakes. This is very important to me trailering around LOTO, where there are very steep hills that often end at the lake. Not making the stops there can get you in the news paper.

Ceramic's don't work as well the first use. But after that, they stop fine. So, expect the first stop leaving your home in the morning to be disappointing, but by the second and third you'll be great. Also, in the winter, after cruising down the highway for a couple of hours, expect to use more leg at the top of the exit ramp than normal. Or, start braking earlier than normal in that case. Those are the only downsides I've ever noticed with ceramics.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
My 2002 Chevy Avalance 2500 OEM front rotors warped BAD. I replaced them with front Brembo Rotors and Hawk Pads all the way around. I definately recommend this package. I had Ceramic on my Tahoe, and Carbon Metallic as well. I think the CM were better, but they were dirtier on the rims.
This is the exact combo I put on my F-350 no more warped rotors

Last edited by Scott; 04-20-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now I'm running VGX ceramic pads on my 00 Lightning (front & rear) and been extremely happy so far, and I'm getting ready to try them on my 04 S/Duty cause I'm tired of cleaning wheels.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT DRILL THE ROTORS!!!! This will act like a cheese grater on the pads and decreases the amount of surface area that you are stopping against. The key is quality components. Use quality rotors (no PepBoys or AutoZone lifetime warranty Chinese crap) and quality pads. Performance Friction, Hawk and Satisfied all have quality ceramic and carbon metallic pads. The carbon metallic pads will dust more but will be better for tow vehicles. I am a master distributor for all of these brands but deal mainly in the race compounds.

Todd
www.outlawdiscbrakes.com
Old 04-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachangalpina
DO NOT DRILL THE ROTORS!!!! This will act like a cheese grater on the pads and decreases the amount of surface area that you are stopping against.
Todd
www.outlawdiscbrakes.com
hmmmm.....then why do so many aftermarket brake kits come with drilled and slotted rotors.......we used to drill the rotors in my Superbike days to allow the gasses produced by the brake pads under braking someplace to go.....and from my understanding this is still the case...no?

Quick Reply: Pull trucks:Whats the best brake pad????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.