Notices

BIG lifts ???

Old 02-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BIG lifts ???

Originally Posted by twinzilla
How about a big dually like this, with bigger tires and more lift??

Now that's different, you don't see lifted duallys very often. Nice truck Twin.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Registered

05 2500HD
7" Cognito lift
Green keys cranked a little
6" Deaver rear Springs
3" blocks
Bilstein shocks

Need some bags in the rear, but otherwise it tows great.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:40 AM
Registered

anybody ever used BDS suspensions?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Registered

I've heard a few things about them that were all pretty positive. I guess it depends on the truck. If it's a Chevy, Cognito is the way to go...
Old 02-08-2006, 11:20 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am not a huge fan of towing a heavy load with lifting blocks under the springs.... i would perfer a full spring lift and air bags... just my .02
Old 02-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: BIG lifts ???

Originally Posted by mwdill
anybody ever used BDS suspensions?
I have a F250 powerstroke with a 6" all spring BDS lift w/35BFG AT. I tow a 28' boat approx. 7000 lbs. all summer and a skid loader on a 10ton trailer with no problem.
BDS suspension are the only springs that have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked.
I have seen Fab-Tech springs give inconsistent lift amounts and sag horribly after less then one year of ownership. Most inexpensive lift springs are made in India, very soft metal.

Would strongly recommend either BDS or National Spring. Pay a little more and be happier in the long run.

Stay away from lift block when towing!!!! Blocks allow additional twist on the rear.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

4" blocks have come factory on Fords in the rear for years but never use them in the front.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:20 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbr2328
4" blocks have come factory on Fords in the rear for years but never use them in the front.
my 05 SD has about a 1 1/4" spacer on top of the spring perch, looks to be keyed into the perch and leaf spring.... i was mainly talking about the guys who put 4" blocks in the back and use stock springs... i have never seen a factory ford with a 4" block in it... just the cheap way out to lift your truck, and the additional leverage on the u-bolts probably isnt good either... i wouldn't do it.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure about 05's but 99-04 had either a 2" or 4" block under the leaf in the rear. The 2" was added after complaints from fifth wheel pullers that ride height was too high. Factory Ford springs are better than most aftermarket springs for towing so some change from the 2" to the 4" block or sometimes an add a leaf.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Mactime is right about the BDS and National Springs, they are about the best you can buy. I don't think my Nationals have sagged in the three years I've had them.
Blocks in the front are illegal and dangerous. Blocks in the rear multiply the amount of torque your axle transfers to your springs and creates axle wrap. Thin flexible leaf packs can also create axle wrap, usually rock crawlers have that problem when driving on pavement. As far as blocks go, think of prying on something with a stubby screw driver instead of a pry-bar. That extra distance between your axle and spring pack creates more leverage. Ford's however do come with a block when they are stock and seem to have no noticeable axle wrap. They have a stiff spring pack that has very little arch when stock as well, that more than likely helps to eliminate it.

Quick Reply: BIG lifts ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.