Notices

Silverado 6.0 advice needed

Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 AM
TC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado 6.0 advice needed

I have an 01 HD2500 Silverado with the gas guzzling lazy 6.0 liter engine. I noticed that recently it has developed a minor exhaust leak that disappears once the engine gets a little heat in it. I pulled the hood and noticed that an exhaust manifold bolt was missing on the number 7 cylinder. Of course it was the bolt near the fire wall. It appears that the bolt has broken off because I could not start another bolt in the hole. I'm going to have to remove the manifold to repair this at some point.

My question is.....Has anyone reading this added headers and exhaust to a set up like this and yielded any seat of the pants power? Headers for the newer trucks are pretty pricey and I would hate to spend the money for little power increase.

Thanks in advance. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Registered

Default Re: Silverado 6.0 advice needed

put headers onmy chevy once but after a while,they would crack and the welding game began!wish i never did it!when towing my boat up hills,they would get so hot the gaskets would blow out!inall i had alot more exhaust leaks in a shorter amount of time!reuse the manifolds and have them resurfaced!theve been through enough heat cycles that they are completely cured and youll never have another problem!once they have been resurfaced,they will fit flat on the head and gaskets will not be needed,they are a machine fit which needs no gasket!if you use gaskets,they will blow out over a short time!
Old 02-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

TC- Shorty truck headers do wonders for this engine, and since you have to work on the bolt do it.

The 6. 0 responds to a tune also, ala Hypertech or a custom tune- where you located?

Wannabe
Old 02-07-2006, 03:17 PM
TC
Registered

I'm located in Western KY about 2.5 hours from Hypertechs home town of Memphis TN. Thought I would change them out while I had one of them off. Its really hard to put those cast iron manifolds back on anything one you have them off. Have gained HP on other header installations but was not aware if the swap was worth the time and money on the newer trucks. I guess I was thinking that maybe GM put some R&D into the newer manifolds but maybe not.