Notices

HELP!!! on 99 suburban

Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!! on 99 suburban

This is tough....Check pink wire from Under hood fuse block at ECM 1 fuse....goes to a splice then to another splice, then off to vcm, ignition coil, ign. control module, crankshaft position sensor. This is a time consumer and is probably something near the fuse box. I have a 2000 Classic w/454 and was out looking around to see if anything jumps out at me. Wish I could be of more help. I'll call the shop and ask around if you want. I'm off today. Good Luck and when they do find it give us an update.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R Addiction
This is tough....Check pink wire from Under hood fuse block at ECM 1 fuse....goes to a splice then to another splice, then off to vcm, ignition coil, ign. control module, crankshaft position sensor. This is a time consumer and is probably something near the fuse box. I have a 2000 Classic w/454 and was out looking around to see if anything jumps out at me. Wish I could be of more help. I'll call the shop and ask around if you want. I'm off today. Good Luck and when they do find it give us an update.
Thanks R'A,
I did trace the pink wire under the fuse block to the first splice and saw no sign of problems. Granted I was on the side of I-10 so i didn't get too in depth. I'm going to call the mechanic and see was the lastest and greatest is. Thanks again for you help. LF
Old 06-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

These vintage have wiring issues with the Fuel Pump/ relay and the pump itself. Have them unhook the wire to the fuel pump and try it. If it does not blow the fuse a new pump is in order- not cheap- drop the tank.

It might also be as simple as a new ignition switchh also.

Good luck

Wannabe
Old 06-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wannabe
These vintage have wiring issues with the Fuel Pump/ relay and the pump itself. Have them unhook the wire to the fuel pump and try it. If it does not blow the fuse a new pump is in order- not cheap- drop the tank.

It might also be as simple as a new ignition switchh also.

Good luck

Wannabe
Hey Wannabe,
I did drop the tank and pulled the fuel pump on the side of I-10 with no luck. I went ahead and bought a new fuel pump but didn't want to install it till i can find the other problem...
the wierd thing is that I was 2000 miles into this trip, running 75 mph and it just died. Everything electrical but what runs off this fuse works.... Anybody in the market for a used 4x4 Suburban?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

make sure the oxygen sensor wires are not shorting on the exaust or exaust heat sheilds,I beleive you have 4 o2 sensors on the exhaust.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, my name isMichael Garibay here in CA. I own an auto shop and ran into this same problem on a '98 tahoe (same motor) . First try unplugging the large injector connector behind the throttle body(black in color and about 2"X3" square) then see if it blows fuse. If it doesn't you may have one of the injector wires rubbed through(power side) under the upper plennum.I just removed the upper plennum rerouted the wire(cyl #2 in my case)away from the bracket that holds up the connector and put a little silicone on the wire and down the road he went.Good luck Mike
Qualtiy Auto Service Pomona ca.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
Hi, my name isMichael Garibay here in CA. I own an auto shop and ran into this same problem on a '98 tahoe (same motor) . First try unplugging the large injector connector behind the throttle body(black in color and about 2"X3" square) then see if it blows fuse. If it doesn't you may have one of the injector wires rubbed through(power side) under the upper plennum.I just removed the upper plennum rerouted the wire(cyl #2 in my case)away from the bracket that holds up the connector and put a little silicone on the wire and down the road he went.Good luck Mike
Qualtiy Auto Service Pomona ca.
Hey Mike,
You might have hit the nail on the head. When I was on the side of the road I did unplug the injector plug but it still blew the fuse. Yesterday when I talked to the guy that is looking at it he said that he did the same thing and it DIDN'T blow. I'm not sure what he did vs. what I did but i think we're on the right track. Thanks for the info.......LF