Notices

SRW vs DRW

Old 10-31-2006, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SRW vs DRW

Thanks Chris,

That ambulance idea is a good one. I was thinking of maybe a Brinks truck but the gearing is probably too low. Not so with an ambulance, and the storage would be real handy.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 9 Lives
Thanks Chris,

That ambulance idea is a good one. I was thinking of maybe a Brinks truck but the gearing is probably too low. Not so with an ambulance, and the storage would be real handy.

Too much armor in an armored car. They barely move themselves!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Too much armor in an armored car. They barely move themselves!

Chris, you could've ended that post with "dumbazz". I wouldn't mind.

No, actually I thought it could be stripped from the inside and underneath. The wheelbase might even be a little too short for stability though. I keep trying to think of a way to keep a 42' boat with a drive guard type trailer under the 65' overall length limit.

A yearly length permit, if available, would be the solution.

Last edited by 9 Lives; 10-31-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Registered

chris, do you have any pics of your tow rig?? it sounds pretty interesting!! did you have to do anything special as far as licensing? is it (was it) considered a class 8 truck?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by rude
chris, do you have any pics of your tow rig?? it sounds pretty interesting!! did you have to do anything special as far as licensing? is it (was it) considered a class 8 truck?
Under 26,000 GVW so it's non-CDL. Class 6. Has air brakes- no special icence or permit needed.

This pic is before the bed went on. I took the interior out and sprayed the entire inside of the cab with spray-on sound deadener. Then all the walls & roof were stuffed with 2" foam. Made new door panels & covered the dash with auto-interior vinyl, Since the floor is pretty flat, I glued a short-nap black industrial carpet over the insulated rubber floor mat. Added power windows/locks. Decent stereo. New air-ride seats.
Attached Thumbnails SRW vs DRW-97fl70-1.jpeg  
Old 10-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Registered

that sounds pretty sweet!! i hate to be a pain, but do you have more pics? your project has got my mind workin'!! if you don't mind my asking, what kind of money do you have into rig?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by rude
that sounds pretty sweet!! i hate to be a pain, but do you have more pics? your project has got my mind workin'!! if you don't mind my asking, what kind of money do you have into rig?
Without the interior stuff, under 20 grand. I did a bunch of peace-of-mind stuff to it that you wouldn't necessarily have to do. Did alot of the work on it myself including re-shooting the yellow.

I looked- no other pics. I'm getting it out tomorrow to use the crane to snatch a fallen tree from my backyard so I'll try to get a pic.

That's the only downside. I have a flatbed that carries 10K and has a crane- I have no shortage of "friends"
Old 11-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Registered

thanx for the info chris.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered

So does this mean everyone with a boat 38' plus has to have a freightliner to haul the boat down the road? Im sure probably not. Anyone out there haul their boat with a single rear wheel one ton tow rig??

Although a Frieghtliner would be damn nice, its just not feasable for me at this time.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:45 PM
VIP Member

I pull my 36 Outlaw that weighs in at 16000 lbs on the trailer with a 03 6.0 PSD SRW 4X4 with air bags. Pulls solid to 80 mph. It has six wheel disc brakes so I feel fine with it. It stops really well IMO. I don't think that Top Gun will weigh much more than my rig does. I make several trips that are 500 miles or more over the summer in 95 degree heat with no problems.

Quick Reply: SRW vs DRW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.