Notices

The Real Towing Capacity???

Old 02-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Real Towing Capacity???

O.K. guys and gals (can't leave anyone out). Here's the deal!
I'm in the market to purchase a larger boat but need to be careful on the weight. I really want to buy as much boat as I can safely tow. I recently bought a new 4x4 Nissan Titan which is rated to pull 9,500lbs. My last truck was a Ford F-150 which if I recall was rated at 8,000lbs give or take. These numbers seem to be thrown around by the manufactures pretty loosely. My question is what is a realistic towing number that's not pushing the limits of the trucks ability. For the most part I tow the boat about 5 miles one way to the ramp. In most cases it's 1/4 mile as I keep the boat on the trailer at the marina...

Thanks for your input, and no flack on the Nissan!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:14 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: The Real Towing Capacity???

Originally Posted by Fast Forward
................ and no flack on the Nissan!!!

That line is REALLY gonna limit the responses to this thread! Never been in a Nissan so I can't comment on the towing capacity but for 5 miles or less I would think you could get away with low 30 ft in the 8-9,000lbs (boat only) range. Open highway would NOT be suggested.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:20 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can obviuosly tow quite a bit more in very short distances and not worry about much......but your insurance doesnt see it the same way. I wouldnt pull anything out of the OEM limits on a public street or somebody elses private property.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The real towing capacity is the one the manufacturer specifies.

If someone is hurt or killed it could be the difference between a lesser charge and/or civil charge or a criminal felony charge. Plus you have the issue of civil liability. If you color between the lines, it's hard to assign blame. If you knowingly exceed the limits and something bad happens, you'll likely be dealing with a wholly unsympathetic prosecutor and a couple of juries. If the first defense doesn't break you, the civil trial will.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:28 PM
NoQuarter

Towing on side streets and short distances I've exceeded OEM limits more times than I can count (with working trailer brakes and stiff sidewall tires). But insurance liability is and should be your concern. If seomthing happens and you've exceeded the limits, you will be on your own as the attorneys line-up to get their piece.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
NoQuarter

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
The real towing capacity is the one the manufacturer specifies.

If someone is hurt or killed it could be the difference between a lesser charge and/or civil charge or a criminal felony charge. Plus you have the issue of civil liability. If you color between the lines, it's hard to assign blame. If you knowingly exceed the limits and something bad happens, you'll likely be dealing with a wholly unsympathetic prosecutor and a couple of juries. If the first defense doesn't break you, the civil trial will.
This was posted while I was typing...

His quote says it perfectly.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the way I understand it. I hope somebody chimes in if I have something wrong.

1. Make sure your hitch, insert and ball are rated for the load you are towing and the way you are towing it. Weight Carrying is different than Weight Distributing, make sure you know the difference and are covered. I know my factory GM hitch is junk for my application.

2. Weight of truck, fuel, occupants, cargo and tongue weight of trailer must not exceed manufacturers listed GVWR. I think you can find this number by pulling the truck on the scale with the boat attached but trailer tires not on scale.

3. Weight of truck, fuel, occupants, cargo + boat and trailer must not exceed manufacturers GCWR. Obviously, you pull the entire setup on the scale to get this number.

Using the manufacturers listed towing capacity is slippery slope because they may be using a stripped down vehicle weight to determine the towing number (GCWR minus GVWR equals Towing Capacity). The more your vehicle is weighted down with options, the lower the true towing capacity. If you weigh your personal truck while setup as it would be when you are going boating (minus the boat and trailer) and subtract that number from the listed GCWR, you will have a much better picture of your true legal towing capacity. Then you just need to be sure you are within the GVWR.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are you saying if my truck is rated for pulling 10000 lbs and my truck weighs 2000 my actual towing capacity say a boat and trailer should not exceed 8000lbs???
Old 02-07-2007, 07:50 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Forward
So are you saying if my truck is rated for pulling 10000 lbs and my truck weighs 2000 my actual towing capacity say a boat and trailer should not exceed 8000lbs???
Typically a truck rated at 10,000 lbs towing doesn't account for any addl weight that is put IN the truck. So you would technically have to subtract the weight of you, passengers, gear, fuel, etc from the listed towing capacity.

4 adults, full tank of fuel, and minimal gear would add 1,000 lbs and reduce your towing capacity to 9,000 instead of 10,000.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No.

Find the manufacturers listed GCWR for your truck, it will be a significantly higher number than the listed towing capacity. Subtract the actual weight of your truck as setup and loaded when towing your boat from the GCWR. What remains is your maximum towing capacity.

Quick Reply: The Real Towing Capacity???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.