Notices

Long Term Trailer Plates

Old 02-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Term Trailer Plates

I was talking to someone last night who was telling me that you can get license plates for your trailer from maine for like 5 years or more at a time for very little money and you don't need to be a maine resident. He has a bunch of trailers licensed through there and says its totally legit. Also said a lot of semi trailers are registered through maine for that reason as well.

He was explaining that you get the tags from some organization called "STABB" or something. I looked it up online and can't find any info. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:19 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: Long Term Trailer Plates

In VA we can buy "Permanent Trailer" tags. The cost is equal to about 2 1/2 years of regular annual plates. There is no refund if you sell early....which is no big deal. Tags cost about $50.00. Personal property taxes, etc. still apply.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do you have to be a VA resident? I was told that for the maine tags, you don't have to live there. I haven't verified any of this yet though.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't know....Couple months ago I tried to get my truck registered/plated in Delaware but found out I needed a DL license......but needed proof of residence to get the DL license.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Not sure about the Maine thing. Here is their website:
http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/index.html
Old 02-09-2007, 01:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

The Maine thing is true, I have quite a few friends that are doing it. I think it's $60 for 5 years. Not sure on the legality of it....but they all have had them for 2-3 years without any incidents.

I had the permanent Virginia trailer tag (for $52) until this year when I moved to Maryland. Now I'm getting RAPED to the tune of $248 every two years for tags. I'll be switching over to Maine tags when they expire. I use my trailer twice a year!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Registered

What about having to have the trailer inspected. This sounds like a good deal though
Old 02-09-2007, 03:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Codered
What about having to have the trailer inspected. This sounds like a good deal though
I'll see them tonight and ask that question. I'll let you know all of the details tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The guy who told me about this said that an inspection wasn't required. Just the green dealers certificate and bill of sale if under 3k lbs. or title and bill of sale if it is over 3k lbs.

I still can't locate any info on "STABB". He couldn't remember if that was exactly the name of the organization or not though. I don't think you can go through the standard DMV if you aren't a resident.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you can do it. I have a place in Maine but never give them my Maine address at the town hall.

Maine does not instpect trailers.

You need a bill of sale (easy) or title depending on the age of the trailer. Old registration in your name saves you sales tax....

Craig when you need to do that let me or Biggus know and I am sure that one of us can help ya out.

Jon

Quick Reply: Long Term Trailer Plates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.