Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Electric over Hydraullic Question >

Electric over Hydraullic Question

Notices

Electric over Hydraullic Question

Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric over Hydraullic Question

Just purchased a new custom trailer. Ordered with Ele over hyd brakes but the Carlisle unit was delayed in shipping and I wanted the boat so the dealer installed a surge Titan 20.
Worked OK but wanted the elec over hydrolic I paid for.
They installed a Carlisle Hydastar 1200 actuator.
Seems decent but to me too much of a delay about 3-4 secs or more.
Definately has more stopping power just the delay. If I had to slam the brakes. I dont think it would be good.

adjusting the gain...... If I turn it up then when I'm doing a slow stop...I press the brakes easy...OK then the braking really kicks in and stops my early .. If I set low It appears too long before stopping.
My in cab controller has a manual brake apply. SO the system in working . I can stop the truck with outtouching the truck brake pedal.
I have towed a car before with elec brakes and I know setup diferent but it was instant.

I can see maybe some delay . You press the brake pedal and a pump starts in the controller to build pressure to the brakes.

I spoke with Carlisle and thye gave me some steps to try. (Rebleed, Check batt voltage,Double checking wiring,etc....)

Please post experiences or ideas.
Thanks
Dennis
Old 09-11-2007, 12:59 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

I have towed with both. Get what you paid for. The elec/hyd is way better
Old 09-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Registered

I am definately keeping the electric over hydrolic..Just had some concerns on the delay.
Also I read that Carlisle system were good.

looking for some feedback..Thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have electric over hydraulic on 3 axles on our trailer. Not sure what brand / type.

I have experienced some of the same issues you talk about. It seems hard to find a balance between lots of stopping power and the "too touchy / jerky" syndrome. I tend to error on the side of safety when out on the highway (more stopping power) and I'll turn it down just a bit on side streets so that it operates more smoothly in stop and go.

I'd be interested to hear others experience as well. One thing to keep in mind is that most controllers are truly supposed to be proportional, so it should stop the trailer harder as you apply more brake. Testing the system on a deserted street in a controlled manner is probably a good thing. In fact, my controller manual recommends this during setup.

John
Old 09-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Registered

John
You are correct it should be proportional. My controller has a soft and hard setting and the harder(more G force the more it applys) Mine has a light. Green when normal (no Brakes) yellow to red depending on the amt of pressure. Red being hard braking.
Carlisle told me no more than 2 seconds for stopping or to feel braking. To me its like 4 seconds. They gave me some checks todo.
Here is what they trailer dealer installed.
http://www.carlislebrake.com/trailer...tors.php#menu2
I have the hydrastar 1200
Old 09-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Registered

I have an 03 myco with a brakerite electric over hydraulic system. I had some issues with controllers at first due to a change in the brakerite circuitry in 04. I ran mine originally with a Prodigy controller and it was the most proportional controller you can buy, problem was an incompatibility with the 03 brakerite circuitry made me change the controller over to a Drawtite Pilot.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Registered

I have electric over hydraulic and use a Tekonsha P3 controller that has a setting specifically for the electric/hydraulic set up. Mine stops as smooth as silk with no noticeable delay or lag. Maybe your controller? I think my setup is a Carlisle as well.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
I have electric over hydraulic and use a Tekonsha P3 controller that has a setting specifically for the electric/hydraulic set up. Mine stops as smooth as silk with no noticeable delay or lag. Maybe your controller? I think my setup is a Carlisle as well.
FYI, I'm running the P3 too. It is definately on the electric over hydraulic setting. Maybe I just need to spend more time dialing it in.

John
Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Ok I think I misread your post the first time. Sounds like you may be having problems with your in cab brake control. Which one are you using?

Originally Posted by bowtye8
Just purchased a new custom trailer. Ordered with Ele over hyd brakes but the Carlisle unit was delayed in shipping and I wanted the boat so the dealer installed a surge Titan 20.
Worked OK but wanted the elec over hydrolic I paid for.
They installed a Carlisle Hydastar 1200 actuator.
Seems decent but to me too much of a delay about 3-4 secs or more.
Definately has more stopping power just the delay. If I had to slam the brakes. I dont think it would be good.

adjusting the gain...... If I turn it up then when I'm doing a slow stop...I press the brakes easy...OK then the braking really kicks in and stops my early .. If I set low It appears too long before stopping.
My in cab controller has a manual brake apply. SO the system in working . I can stop the truck with outtouching the truck brake pedal.
I have towed a car before with elec brakes and I know setup diferent but it was instant.

I can see maybe some delay . You press the brake pedal and a pump starts in the controller to build pressure to the brakes.

I spoke with Carlisle and thye gave me some steps to try. (Rebleed, Check batt voltage,Double checking wiring,etc....)

Please post experiences or ideas.
Thanks
Dennis
Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyG
FYI, I'm running the P3 too. It is definately on the electric over hydraulic setting. Maybe I just need to spend more time dialing it in.

John
John did you set the boost on your p3? That may be your problem.

Quick Reply: Electric over Hydraullic Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.