Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Electric over Hydraullic Question >

Electric over Hydraullic Question

Notices

Electric over Hydraullic Question

Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Command

Best thing since sliced bread. Ford tow command links your trailer to the truck like air brakes ! One brake pedal one pressure. I set mine on 4.5 for my 382 and it is perfect !
Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys with the factory Ford set up have a problem with Elect/ hyd & disc brakes? My Ford Manual says its not guaranteed with disc's
Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Registered

I've towed a 47 Fountain with my 08 f450 with tow command with no problems or delay. It works much better than any aftermarket I've used.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:47 PM
rjr
Registered

F-450 NICE!!!!! Mine is ONLY an f-350 wHAT BRAND OF ACTUATOR ARE YOU USING?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 PM
rjr
Registered

Sorry, didn't mean to SHOUT
Old 04-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered

It's built-in. That's the beauty of it. I think the anti-lock braking transmits to the trailer also.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While on the subject...

I'm installing the Brakerite unit this very minute. I read the manual that states to run a dedicated 12ga. power wire with 30A fuse from battery post to the truck/trailer plug. The factory installed '03 Ford trailer harness uses a 20A fuse in the fuse box. I'm assuming the factory wiring is fine for regular electric brakes, just not sure if the EOH has more current draw, thus the higher fuse recommendation.

Are you guys having to replace the factory wiring for the power and ground wire?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Registered

Sounds like the main power line is too small. I had the same problem with my new Brake Rite system. Works with Ford built in and disks.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
While on the subject...

I'm installing the Brakerite unit this very minute. I read the manual that states to run a dedicated 12ga. power wire with 30A fuse from battery post to the truck/trailer plug. The factory installed '03 Ford trailer harness uses a 20A fuse in the fuse box. I'm assuming the factory wiring is fine for regular electric brakes, just not sure if the EOH has more current draw, thus the higher fuse recommendation.

Are you guys having to replace the factory wiring for the power and ground wire?
I have the Brake Rite unit also. LOVE it. I've experienced some of the symptoms mentioned in previous posts. I use the Prodigy also and after reading the instructions, realized that this particular unit has a newer style motion sensor and it must be installed at correct geometric angle or you will get semi-weird braking. I use boost 3 since it minimizes delay. I also specified which harness my truck uses when I ordered it. It is made to plug right into your box under dash without having to run wires to battery and all that etc.

PS any truck that has the 2" 7pin out plug on the hitch is already wired for constant 12 volt power. That's part of the beauty of having a later model truck. Some trucks like mine will ship with the fuse not plugged into the slot that provides constant power though.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

US 1 Fountain, When I had my 04 PSD I wired the controller seperately to the battery. It was not that big of a deal and it replaced a much smaller diameter hot wire that is in the dash.......

The Ford controller is made by Tekonesha, I called them and they said that the unit will work with some EOH, not all. They don't have a list they just said try it. I called my trailer manufacturer, they don't know, they said just try it. Works well for me.

Quick Reply: Electric over Hydraullic Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.