Notices

F650

Old 10-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F650

What kind of mileage does the F650 with Cat c7 and alllison trani get on the highway? Towing?

I see that OSO is selling their tow truck in the classifieds. Maybe they can answer.

How is the ride?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:13 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ride depends on tire and wheel size, air ride seats, how the air bags are adjusted, what front leafs you have, adjustable shocks???

The more tongue weight the better the ride.

It rides rougher than a Fl and better than an International.

I drove every truck before I purchased, call me if you need more info.

Our C7 is turned up 30 horses, has the speed limiter moved back, and has an exhaust brake so we may have different results than others.

Worse case with a 15k load I saw 6mpg, 12k load more like 8-10.

Last edited by OSO; 10-14-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

most 3126 cats get 8 - 10 mpg loaded. Cats don't care what the load is behind them
Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

I have a fleet of Mack Trucks. 5 MPG, loaded or unloaded, no better, no worse.

Peterbuilt with 425 hp, turned up pump, 4 mpg.

I love the OSO truck. Why are you selling it?

I need a truck of that size to pull my new to me Formula 382

My F350 will have its hands full, stopping especially.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:58 PM
rjr
Registered

Pardon my ignorance I just bought a 382 and am expecting the trailer brakes to stop the trailer. Am I wrong?

rjr
Old 10-18-2007, 02:20 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rjr
Pardon my ignorance I just bought a 382 and am expecting the trailer brakes to stop the trailer. Am I wrong?

rjr
Just responded to your other thread. If everything is in good order then the trailer brakes will do most of the work. Make sure you have brakes on all 3 axles as alot of people skimp out on the third set of brakes. I bought a 5 year old boat and didn't trust the trailer. It had only been used for winter storage but I wasn't willing to chance it since I tow every weekend...ended up buying a new trailer and sold the used one to someone else.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:30 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Mackattack
I love the OSO truck. Why are you selling it?
Spending so much time on the road, we are replacing it with a toter home.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Registered

rjr, the trailer brakes should do most of the stopping, but from my experience, electric brakes are not always there when you need them. I pull a 40' gooseneck trailer used to haul construction equipment. The constant bouncing and jarring of the trailer seem to break wires, cause bad connections, etc. Sometimes your trailer brakes work, and sometimes they will not. I re wired the trailer, and in about 1 year, problems start again.

I have learned not to ever depend on trailer brakes to stop you. I always leave enough room for the truck to stop the trailer, if the trailer brakes work, fine, but if you press the pedal, and you only have the truck stopping you, you will end up with a hole in the middle of the driver's seat.

The only trailer brakes (in my opinion) are air brakes. If you have air pressure, you have brakes, if you loose air pressure, you will have a warning on the guage. If you have a a wire break, or a brake controller take a crap, you may not know it until it is too late.

This information comes after I ran into a truck from the rear in a F350 dually with a 40' trailer loaded with a backhoe. Trailer brakes failed, not enough following distance.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mackattack
rjr, the trailer brakes should do most of the stopping, but from my experience, electric brakes are not always there when you need them. I pull a 40' gooseneck trailer used to haul construction equipment. The constant bouncing and jarring of the trailer seem to break wires, cause bad connections, etc. Sometimes your trailer brakes work, and sometimes they will not. I re wired the trailer, and in about 1 year, problems start again.

I have learned not to ever depend on trailer brakes to stop you. I always leave enough room for the truck to stop the trailer, if the trailer brakes work, fine, but if you press the pedal, and you only have the truck stopping you, you will end up with a hole in the middle of the driver's seat.

The only trailer brakes (in my opinion) are air brakes. If you have air pressure, you have brakes, if you loose air pressure, you will have a warning on the guage. If you have a a wire break, or a brake controller take a crap, you may not know it until it is too late.

This information comes after I ran into a truck from the rear in a F350 dually with a 40' trailer loaded with a backhoe. Trailer brakes failed, not enough following distance.
I respectfully disagree,I just greased all the bearings on your trailer,and bled the brakes(6 caliper disc) and that boat and trailer stops like a corvette.I have it dialed in at 5 on the controller,anymore your through the windshield.Electric/hydraulic
Old 10-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered

I agree that the brakes work very well. It is just my experience that one broken wire can cause you to have no more trailer brakes.

Thanks for getting the trailer and boat ready. Jason with Full Throttle will be calling you to arrange pickup. I think he wants to pickup on Monday afternoon.

Thanks again Plumberscrack