Notices

Why not Duramax???

Old 02-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is the latest from trailer boats...3/4 tons, All had 3.73 gears, newest tranny offerings which were the 6 speeds from GM and Dodge vs 5 speed from Ford.

The Bayliner 246 Discovery was the test sled at 9300 pounds with 820 pounds of tongue weight.

Duramax 660@1600 Torque 365@3200
Dodge 650@1500 350@3013
Ford 650@2000 350@3000

All 3 trucks have plenty power, each would make a terrific tow vehicle, but there are some diff.

Comments concerning the Duramax, does not seem to be as powerful as Ford or Dodge to being a smart performer, not the best hill puller. The Duramax had the best towing acc. in our 40-60 but low end power came on slower than the other two.

The Dodge, felt powerful at all throttle positions, especially off the line, burned rubber off the line during our 1-mile hill climb, the only one to do so, and still acc. to top.

Impressions on Ford, positive, it has a Clark Kent personality, if U dont put your foot into it its true muscle is not immediatly apparent. The powerstroke has massive towing power but you can not be timid with the go pedal.

Mirrors and B pillar obscursions.. Ford and Dodge was larger and favored over Gm's, Ford won, liked the heated convex adj, vs other 2 and heated, and no unobstructed view over drivers left shoulder.

Trannies..Allison in Gm was the favorite, put in M position for manual mode locking the gear in place. They liked the Fords tranny as well for smooth shifting as the GM's , and tranny follows brake pedals lead, but did not lock gears on decent vs with speed of truck. Dodge improved on their tranny, no temp gauge offered, switch activated sometimes took longer to lock gears in place longer than we would have liked.

Ride and handling..We consider this to be the single most relavant catagory when judging a tow vehicle. The rig's ability to handle a load with security and maintain control.

GM..Test noted it had a softer suspension than other two trucks. The Gm felt a bit loose after induced sway, remember this is with only 9000 pounds. The Discovery Cruiser felt like it had an influence over the GM, and its towing ride was more spongier than we would have liked. It also was the least favorite during our tow braking tests. On the upside it had the best NON-Towing ride, handling and steering.

Dodge Test noted some skittish over rough roads, to tough on the tush. It was with out doubt the stiffest susp. when unladen-however smoothed out considerably when towing. The team noticed it did not offer the same level of control bring the boat back as promptly after induced sway as the Ford. The Dodges braking was deamed better than the GM but not as stable as the Ford.

Ford Test noted was the best at ride and handeling this large boat. Ford provides the best sway control, it was the quickest to bring the rig back in check after induced sway and secure handeling in all situations. Its nontowing ride could be a bit jolting over uneven payment.

Measuring up:
0-60T/NT 0-30 40-60 55-0 MPG Tow R
GM 18.6/9.4 6.9/4.5 8.6/5.3 196/102 9.4/16.8 10k
Dodge 17.2/8.5 6.2/3.4 9.5/4.6 185/112 10.1/15.4 10k
Ford 18.4/8.2 6.7/3.4 9.7/4.2 182/106 9.1/14.8 12,5k

Ford won a narrow but convincing victory. It delivered awesome but well mannered towing muscle, and simply controlled the tow best in all tasks. It also garnered the most points from the test team in subjective catagories such as engine/tranny performance, ride and handeling, visability and interior comfort. This was enough to put it over the top.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is an in-depth test http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007...shootout1.html
Old 02-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble

Yes, in depth, but also older. A few glitches that have been sited on other sites as well, both from Ford and Dodge's camps that were proven out. Again these are articles very much like PB testing...To me these articles give you some info, BUT until you drive all 3 trucks, then you need to put them to the test for your application. The competition vs the GMDuramax best hp/tq has caught up in some area's, and surpassed it in others. I've said before I'm not brand loyal, but have had more GM's than both Ford and Dodge over the years. When it comes to towing, FORD is the best BY FAR for controlling loads, (I've said this for years) and now is the most comfortable for 08. This was proven last week by driving both of our GM/Ford duallies. Equipped the same, almost same options with in $600.00 sticker price. I've been blessed to have an opportunity to drive both GM and Ford offerings since 03, and Dodge in 99-01. I try not to get my panties in a bunch who has the best truck, cause they are all very good. Whomever has the best offering for my application, gets my $ . Thanks Jeff
Old 02-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Now, if only ford can hold the 6.4ls together long enough for them to be useful
Old 02-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyG
Since this has never been tested (that I'm aware of), I would venture to say that the Dodge tranny would blow up before the IFS on the Duramax.

(This thread is turning into a classic computer jocky war, complete with vague generalities and opinions. Just thought I'd participate.)
you full of it . nv5600 6 speed doin;t think so .
Old 02-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jassman for the real world info, I have been going back and forth over which truck to get, gm vs ford. Sorry dodge fans they didn't make the cut.

After reading all the "stuff" on the internet I've decided they are all junk and I'm going to keep the truck I have.

When I do decide to get a new truck the Ford is where my money will go.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Registered

Here's a question about the front ends on the fords, I've always had gm's and never had to do anything to them. Friend of mine is a ford guy and has always had to go through the front end within 50 to 60k miles. Is this still the case with the new fords or has that problem been adressed.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered

Upper & lower ball joints @ 180k miles on my 99' F350...nothing yet on 05' F350 @ 95k miles. 2000' F550 Dump needed ball joints @ 75k( I think), but that is a work horse for carrying 5-7 tons of roofing almost daily. I think the early 90's Ford 250 & 350's had shorter lifespan on the ball joints...definitely brakes were inferior...now they last 100k between pads
Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to do mine at 65k miles, but thats also w/diesel and the snow plow. Surprised that my hubs have lasted to 80k so far, they are due to fail at any point. This is on a 2000 f-350.

Chevys have their share of front end problems too. Upper ball joints fail constantly, but they are cheap, and real easy to do. Pitman and idler arm are another weak area, I've changed many of those out. There are parts to make em stronger and last longer, but poor design. Cheap to make, but they just don't hold up. If you've never had to do any front end work on a gm, you have not owned them with higher miles. Thats been the main argument against IFS, the weak upper ball joints, and the whole torsion bars small range of usefull adjustment.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Joe92GT
I had to do mine at 65k miles, but thats also w/diesel and the snow plow. Surprised that my hubs have lasted to 80k so far, they are due to fail at any point. This is on a 2000 f-350.

Chevys have their share of front end problems too. Upper ball joints fail constantly, but they are cheap, and real easy to do. Pitman and idler arm are another weak area, I've changed many of those out. There are parts to make em stronger and last longer, but poor design. Cheap to make, but they just don't hold up. If you've never had to do any front end work on a gm, you have not owned them with higher miles. Thats been the main argument against IFS, the weak upper ball joints, and the whole torsion bars small range of usefull adjustment.

Actually I put 170,000 on my last truck, which was used as a work truck and towing an 18ft boat, and I've got a 2001 HD with 123000 on it now which gets used as a work truck and has been pulling 12,000 lb boat and trailer since new. I had to change the right front hub on it but thats all. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I really like the new fords alot more than the chevys, it just that so many people I know have had to do front ends at 50 to 60k.