Like Tree0Likes

Diesel Tuners??

Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kgshooty View Post
had a sct tuner on my diesel, blew a head gasket, ran the truck back on stock for 200 miles, took it to the dealer and they said it had been tuned, so they voided warranty, The tuners can be detected, fact. cost me 13,000$ to fix, no more tuners here
so you were not able to flash the stock file back on the computer or?? I know they were working on trying to install spyware so that they could see the entire history but if it is installed in today's trucks it was not available when I got mine. There may have been a big legal fight over whether or not the manufacture could use spyware but I'm not sure bout that.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Registered

They look at the burn pattern on the piston tops. They know how a stock fueled diesel will look, and how a tuned one will. No matter if they have a way of knowing the computer was re flashed or not.

13k though is too much. If a dealer told me they were not going to warranty my engine, I'd take it right out of their shop. No way am I paying top dollar for stock/re manufactured parts. At 13k I'm building a race engine that will not blow, or searching ebay for stock parts.

In the end, you run the tuner at your own risk. Pay to play. Your safest with the duramax. They are tuner friendly, much more so than the 6.0l ford that doesn't need help from tuners to blow up.

On your LB7 use the tuner (whether super chips, diablo sport, ect) to read the DTC codes. You can run an injector balance check on the LB7s to find any early warnings of injector failure. If you have an big difference in injector balance numbers, then take the tuner out and have chevy warranty the injectors. I thought they finally had a fix for the injectors? If they don't you can retrofit LLY heads/fueling.. but that would cost more than simply replacing the injectors twice.

The goal is to watch your injectors carefully.. monitor fuel consumption, and balance rates.. this way you catch the problem before you loose an engine.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:05 AM
Banned

was reflashed stock, dealer told me they can detect a modification very easily, take pictures, send to manufacturer , voided warranty.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:04 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

I have a 06 LBZ and think it is plenty strong/fast/good puller in stock form. Not that more power is nice, however I think the trade off with GM and their BS if it is tuned is to leave it stock.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Registered

My Boat: Baja 25 Outlaw

Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
Get and Edge Juice and be done with it. I've been running one in my '03 for about 4yrs now and have zero complaints.
Just put one on my 05 dodge and love it
Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Registered

My Boat: 08' 28 Daytona

Over on the Diesel Place (dieselplace.com), One guy reported that he had a LBZ that was making 520 Rwhp. He split the crank in two and took it back to the dealer and they waranteed it. Not that I would chose that route or support having GM warantee in those situations, but the warantee really depends on the dealer and other factors. I have heard that the newer 32 bit Bosch processors (LMM) can tell how many calibrations have been applied which can be an easy electronic way to detect mods....

If you are willing to write off your warantee completely and want to go balls out I would go with PPE or EFI Live. My truck has made just under 500 Rwhp with both setups. Be prepared to spend some cash on transmissions, lift pumps and all the other typical diesel stuff to get there though.... There are some other bonuses to the programmers when compared to the edge as well in that you can disable things like EGR check engine lights and DPF etc. The new edge boxes can read and clear the codes but they cannot make them go away permanently.

Last edited by CheckedOut; 05-13-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Registered

My Boat: Baja 25 Outlaw

Originally Posted by CheckedOut View Post
Over on the Diesel Place (dieselplace.com), One guy reported that he had a LBZ that was making 520 Rwhp. He split the crank in two and took it back to the dealer and they waranteed it. Not that I would chose that route or support having GM warantee in those situations, but the warantee really depends on the dealer and other factors. I have heard that the newer 32 bit Bosch processors (LMM) can tell how many calibrations have been applied which can be an easy electronic way to detect mods....

If you are willing to write off your warantee completely and want to go balls out I would go with PPE or EFI Live. My truck has made just under 500 Rwhp with both setups. Be prepared to spend some cash on transmissions, lift pumps and all the other typical diesel stuff to get there though.... There are some other bonuses to the programmers when compared to the edge as well in that you can disable things like EGR check engine lights and DPF etc. The new edge boxes can read and clear the codes but they cannot make them go away permanently.

I just put a Edge Juice w/Attitude on a 08 Ram and saw all the things that it could do so I ordered one for my 05. You can do a lot more with the newer trucks than my 05, You can't clear codes or even monitor trans temps. I still love it though.

So if I was to take my truck in for a TSB for my transmission I would have to take the tuner off so it doesn't clear the tuner???