Notices

Diesel Tuners??

Old 05-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Tuners??

Anyone use the cortex SuperChip for the LB7 Duramax?

http://www.superchips.com/products.p...M+Applications

Not looking to go crazy with a Banks Kit even though they're really nice. Intake, exhaust, hardwired pda, etc...

With the superchip, you can put your stock file back and there will be no record to void any warranty. Just wondered if anyone has used this programmer with everything else being stock? Seems like a nice deal at the price - 88HP for $500 plus other extras.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Registered

Get and Edge Juice and be done with it. I've been running one in my '03 for about 4yrs now and have zero complaints.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither.... get the diablo sport. Can find them for about 350 ish, and they work great. Easy to take back out, however there are always ways they can tell a tuner was in.

Don't forget the weak link is the trans, you will need a shift kit to use the higher tunes. Also gauges are mandatory, figure around 250 for them.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
Get and Edge Juice and be done with it. I've been running one in my '03 for about 4yrs now and have zero complaints.
I've not heard of Edge Juice but i'll look around. Still wanted to hear from any SuperChip owners with my truck (LB7).

thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Joe92GT
Neither.... get the diablo sport. Can find them for about 350 ish, and they work great. Easy to take back out, however there are always ways they can tell a tuner was in.

Don't forget the weak link is the trans, you will need a shift kit to use the higher tunes. Also gauges are mandatory, figure around 250 for them.
No offense but I disagree with you in the biggest way. The Allison 1000C is NOT a weak tranny. In fact, it most likely will out last the engine. Also, the Duramax truck comes with trans guages so I see no need for that either. You must have thought I was talking bout Ford or Dodge trans..

Still looking for Chevy owners that might have tried the SuperChip.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Registered

I didn't say weak transmission. I said weak link. Trust me, I know. I am at my friend's trans shop every day. We have done a bunch of duramax shift kits, in LB7 and LBZ's.

Now, again, the transmission is not weak by an means. However, the duramax is so friendly to power adders that the transmission quickly gets over whelmed. They say 5th gear in the Alison is rated for 700 -750 ft lbs of torque. Thats strong! But, stock on the LB7 is what, 600? (I'm more familiar with LBZ). So, your tuner just added minimum 100-150 ft lbs in the higher tunes. That over powers the stock trans.

Be careful with tuners and that trans before you do a shift kit (increased line pressure). That still doesn't solve the 5th gear holding problem though.

If you still don't believe me, check out the dieselplace.com. You will see many, many smoked Allisons. Is it a good transmission? Yes. Is it somehow bulletproof because its an Alison? no.

After that, If you still don't believe, get the diablo sport, put it on the 120 hp tune, and do some pulls through 5th gear and see how long it takes to get it to limp the trans..

Edit: As far as gauges, you need boost and EGT to be able to run a tuner. Especially on the duramax's, they run HOT!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Joe92GT
I didn't say weak transmission. I said weak link. Trust me, I know. I am at my friend's trans shop every day. We have done a bunch of duramax shift kits, in LB7 and LBZ's.

Now, again, the transmission is not weak by an means. However, the duramax is so friendly to power adders that the transmission quickly gets over whelmed. They say 5th gear in the Alison is rated for 700 -750 ft lbs of torque. Thats strong! But, stock on the LB7 is what, 600? (I'm more familiar with LBZ). So, your tuner just added minimum 100-150 ft lbs in the higher tunes. That over powers the stock trans.

Be careful with tuners and that trans before you do a shift kit (increased line pressure). That still doesn't solve the 5th gear holding problem though.

If you still don't believe me, check out the dieselplace.com. You will see many, many smoked Allisons. Is it a good transmission? Yes. Is it somehow bulletproof because its an Alison? no.

After that, If you still don't believe, get the diablo sport, put it on the 120 hp tune, and do some pulls through 5th gear and see how long it takes to get it to limp the trans..

Edit: As far as gauges, you need boost and EGT to be able to run a tuner. Especially on the duramax's, they run HOT!
okay but i don't want the diablo in part because of what you're saying. that's why i'm liking the superchip at 88 or so horsepower. i'm not racing other truck owners up the grades with 14,000 pound trailers. I'm towing a small 5500 - 6k boat and would like "just a little" more. the 3 tunning options look nice, you can adjust shift points a little, adjust for tires, wheels, etc. If you back off and don't let the trans get hot or drive it like it's stolen I don't think i'll have problems.

I'm the original new owner. got 119000 miles as of today with original factory brakes and 75% of the way through my SECOND set of tires. I'm not a hotroder. It also is supposed to help out with that stupid annoying 4th gear hang up and over sensitive down hill brake.

I appreciate the input but all i wanted was to hear from someone who has used this seemingly entry level tuner.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gauges gauges gauges.. i cant stress that enough.. got a brand new motor in my superduty because of my lack of gauges. just because its on the dash doesnt mean its accurate. MINIMUM, spend the money on EGT, TRans Temp and Boost. then, tune away! stock gauges are HOOOOORRRRIIBBLY innaccurate
Old 05-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Banned

my brothers truck is in a chevy store now for a blown engine due to a bad injector. He now has to sue GM to warranty the engine since they say the engine failed due to a computer upgrade even though there is not one on the truck and there is no way to prove one was even there. The truck has 70,000 miles on it and the factory is saying take a hike. The dealership has told the factory no programmer is on the truck and has been real nice, but the factory says no warranty. Now he has to sue GM to make them warranty the engine. Moral of the story he has found that GM has voided lots of people's warranty due to programers so be careful.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
okay but i don't want the diablo in part because of what you're saying. that's why i'm liking the superchip at 88 or so horsepower. i'm not racing other truck owners up the grades with 14,000 pound trailers. I'm towing a small 5500 - 6k boat and would like "just a little" more. the 3 tunning options look nice, you can adjust shift points a little, adjust for tires, wheels, etc. If you back off and don't let the trans get hot or drive it like it's stolen I don't think i'll have problems.

I'm the original new owner. got 119000 miles as of today with original factory brakes and 75% of the way through my SECOND set of tires. I'm not a hotroder. It also is supposed to help out with that stupid annoying 4th gear hang up and over sensitive down hill brake.

I appreciate the input but all i wanted was to hear from someone who has used this seemingly entry level tuner.
Yeah, if you use lower tunes you'll be ok. The diablo has a 45, 65, 85 and 120 hp tune AFAIK. They all have multiples.

My friend has one in his LB7, runs it mainly on the 45hp tune.

Its the cheapest way to go. Also, programmers can not adjust transmission shift points on the duramax. The TCM is very separate from the ECU, not like the fords/dodges. So, you have to let the trans re-learn the new program before it shifts 100% right.

What the auto programmers do is defuel the engine on shifts.. that is why the programmers are for either auto, or stick. The stick programmers do not defuel on shifts.

Chevy/ford/dodge can tell if a programmer was on an engine by burn pattern on the piston tops. So if you grenade an engine from the programmer (not going to happen) they will know. However, if you loose an engine from a bad injector (more likely) they will also try to not warranty you. You should win that case since it was not the modifications fault, however you are on shaky ground with that case... plus the whole suing thing sucks.

Quick Reply: Diesel Tuners??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.