Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
thinking about a new car what do ya think >

thinking about a new car what do ya think

Notices

thinking about a new car what do ya think

Old 06-02-2008, 08:43 AM
S-S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about a new car what do ya think

i have been looking at a few Porsche 911 s used and the Audi a4 or a6 and the new mustang Shelby gt 500 i want to keep it under 50 k or get a new mustang gt lower it and put some wheels on it and put the money i save towards my next boat i have owned alot of muscle cars and still have a foxbody mustang coupe money pit but have never owned a foreign performance car what do ya think
Old 06-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Steve_H

bought a E55 AMG recently. absolutely love it

Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

You are all over the place with your picks. I would go drive them all then buy what you like/ can afford. To get someone's "free opinion" off here on cars is going to confuse you even more.

Stockbrokers call it "paralysis by analysis." Give someone too many choices and they won't be able to pick any of them.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, you're pretty much all over the place. First off, you have to decide what you want and what you're willing to sacrifice. Do you want a hot rod or do you want a hardcore sports car? Do you want straight line or is handling more important? Is pedigree and refinement important or are you looking for the "cheap thrill"? Porsche 911's are maintenance intensive and expensive to service & repair. Corvettes are the bang-for-the-buck winner but more muscle than sports car. My daughter's high-school parking lot is filled with Mustang GT's- if you're 19, it's the hot ticket. If your over 40, maybe not so much. The BMW M3 is probably the most refined, fun to drive choice out there. Their fast, quick and handle like go-karts. I'm going to lose my driver's licence buzzing my wife's up for gas twice a week. A used Porsche Cayman is right up there at that price range.

What you need is some seat time in each.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checkout www.ecarlink.com this is my buddys place and is out the back door fo my building.

I bought a Merc CL500 and a 07 Rover from them and they are great to deal with.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Steve_H

heres a few excerts from reviews i found on the E55.

I am often asked what is the best car in the world (whereas I am not often asked to explain the subtleties of torque versus horsepower, but there you are). Lately, I'm inclined to answer that the E55 AMG is the car.

Imagine this scenario: You are merging onto the 10, and there's a break in traffic. Feeling frisky, you mat the throttle ... one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand.... Count to five and you are commuting home at 120 mph or more. How do you look in an orange jumpsuit?

What you cannot help but appreciate is the exquisite excess of power. Turn off the traction control, load up the torque converter (left foot on the brake and right on the gas), and let her rip. This car can lay down two 10-inch-wide streaks of very expensive rubber for 50 feet. That's fun.

Once you are done showing off -- and certainly we hope the urge passes quickly -- you are left with a car of stunning athleticism wrapped in a rather unassuming package. The E55 doesn't look much different from an ordinary E-Class. Little denotes a car that can go wheel to wheel with a Dodge Viper.
cobra vs stock e55 amg
http://www.iccwebdesign.com/p1-T4TOdxvv8LU.html

Old 06-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Registered

If you live in a cold climate like I do and need two cars I would suggest buying a 4x4 pickup truck that can be used to tow a boat and haul anything from people to rock salt.....thats what I did but then again I already have a few Corvettes and muscle cars to choose from whenever I want one and wthe weather up in Canada is cooperating.

I see in your sig line it says Florida, if I lived there I would drive a Vette all year round. Dont mess around with Mustangs, they are nowhere close to the car a Vette is and they arent that much less expensive. If I was you I would get into a 2 year old Z06 which you could probably find for right around 50-55k.

Forget BMW's and Porsche's....those are girl cars If you buy one make sure you get the body coloured purse option.....you will need it!

Vettes are easliy serviced and the motors are generally bulletproof if you do proper servicing and take care of it. If you are into offshore boats regular service on a Vette will be a cinch compared to the **** you are used to.

If you want to buy something cool and cheap and save for the next boat buy a used 2003-2004 Vette Z06 and just have fun with it. You wont lose too much on it and it is a kickass vehicle and looks great/sounds great. They are suprisingly livable too even as a daily driver.

But if you live in a cold climate---buy a P/U (1999-2003 American made whatever--no japanese trucks) and then buy yourself a hotrod like the aformentioned Vette or even a 2003-2004 Cobra Mustang (wicked car for the money IMO)--or go old school and buy a 87' Buick GN and have some fun with it.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 774 Likes on 353 Posts

If I was shopping in the 50k and under range I would strongly lean towards an NSX. Honda Reliability, Ferrari Exotica. Not as fast as a VETTE in a straight line but plenty fast for the street, and just one of the most beautiful cars ever made....

Or possibly a Viper if you just want to go fast. Vettes are probably the best bang for the buck but I like something a little more out of the ordinary.
Attached Thumbnails thinking about a new car what do ya think-pic-1.jpg  
Old 06-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Registered

I bought a Maserati coupe and love it. Will be adding a performance chip upgrade and a drive by wire system that will make the car faster than it already is.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my friends has an NSX. It's a wonderful car but way too "antiseptic". If you're going to own a sports car, it should give you that "feel". His feels like an Acura sedan- quite, comfotable, incontrol. Only much faster.

I love the Maserati sedan but they scare me. The Italians and the English are still living down a better part of a century of building rolling artwork that may or may not start/run at any given moment.

Quick Reply: thinking about a new car what do ya think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.