Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
straight electric drum brakes... >

straight electric drum brakes...

Notices

straight electric drum brakes...

Old 06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed the Brakerite on my Eagle tandem surge disc trailer. Jury is still out as only towed with it 1 time and spent the whole time fugging with the controller (Voyager). Either was to touchy, or not enough braking force. Not the smooth braking I had with the surge setup.
Cost of the pump, breakaway battery, $175 to have my coupler welded solid, and figuring $200 to have the trailer tonge repainted, I'll have under $1000 in the change over. Hoping I'm just in need of fine tuning the controller to see the the benefits of the EOH.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rippem
Thanks Chris. PM sent
PM recieved. I will get back to you on Friday after I check on my shelf. I had ordered the parts and was going to re-do my trailer brakes before I decided to upgrade to the Kodiak discs.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I just installed the Brakerite on my Eagle tandem surge disc trailer. Jury is still out as only towed with it 1 time and spent the whole time fugging with the controller (Voyager). Either was to touchy, or not enough braking force. Not the smooth braking I had with the surge setup.
Cost of the pump, breakaway battery, $175 to have my coupler welded solid, and figuring $200 to have the trailer tonge repainted, I'll have under $1000 in the change over. Hoping I'm just in need of fine tuning the controller to see the the benefits of the EOH.
Should be smooth as silk once you have the controller properly adjusted.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Should be smooth as silk once you have the controller properly adjusted.
Yeah, I've heard that. I seemed to have a problem finding the setting that was good both on the highway and in city.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I've heard that. I seemed to have a problem finding the setting that was good both on the highway and in city.
I read that in a number of posts as I've searched over the last week.

I guess the problem is that the amount of gain needed changes with the speeds your braking from? and the realtionship between what it takes to stop the truck (pedal) vs. the boat (EOH pump) is so much different from 30 MPH than 60MPH

You would think the relationship between the truck and trailer braking forces needed would be more linear at both ends of the speed spectrum...

I'm sure we have a physics guru (I'm only sharp on Radiologic physics, photons and stuff ) who could express in an equation why it can't be totally linear.

as the mass/wieght goes up, as in the boat wieghs 10-12K takes exponentially more braking as speed goes up than the truck that wieghs 6K to accomplish a similar stop in a similar distance.

so let me guess you need more trailer brake gain out on the highway right? and less in the city?

or do I have it backwards?
Old 06-10-2008, 05:38 AM
Registered

Voyager still available.

link http://www.brakecontroller.com/

check the resource links (comparison tech, owner's manuals ect.) just under the controllers, pretty handy.

Last edited by Rippem; 06-10-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brakes goes on the foremost and middle axle. (maybe I missunderstood you but you sounded like you where to mount the brakes on the rear and middle axle, which is not a good option..)
Old 06-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Registered

Did you set the levelling adjustment on the controller with the trailer and truck hitched together? Also have to wonder if you maybe have an air bubble in a brake line somewhere ...
Old 06-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kims
The brakes goes on the foremost and middle axle. (maybe I missunderstood you but you sounded like you where to mount the brakes on the rear and middle axle, which is not a good option..)
you didn't that where my thinking was at.

I thought you'd want the brakes on the rear two axles...as in more boat wieght over them for tire bite?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the voyager i don't like it the adjustment is not that good. I just bought the prodigy to try out. I have a hydrastar 1600psi pump you need the hydrastar control adaptr for prodigy controler.

Quick Reply: straight electric drum brakes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.