Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
New Suspension to help w/Trailering >

New Suspension to help w/Trailering

Notices

New Suspension to help w/Trailering

Old 08-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tow ratings have been grossly exaggerated by all of the manufacturers over the span of the last several yeats. They're building the exact same trucks using the exact same componentry and ratings have increased by 20 to 30%. That's because marketing departments have taken over setting the ratings instead of the engineers doing it.

Firestone and Load-Rite airbags will cost you less than $300 with a manual fill kit.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Tow ratings have been grossly exaggerated by all of the manufacturers over the span of the last several yeats. They're building the exact same trucks using the exact same componentry and ratings have increased by 20 to 30%. That's because marketing departments have taken over setting the ratings instead of the engineers doing it.

Firestone and Load-Rite airbags will cost you less than $300 with a manual fill kit.
Interesting...for some reason I had thought that the manufacturers were, if anything, underestimating the tow ratings in order to be on the safe side. I also tend to think that is also has a hell of a lot to do with the type of trailer you have and they way it is balanced. My last boat was on a POS trailer and was all off balance.....you'd hit 55 mph and it would start to sway. Now I have a bigger/heavier boat but it tows a lot easier then my other one (because it is much better balanced and on a better trailer). Easy tow at 55 mph +.

I'll look into those airbags you suggested Chris. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

lots of factors at play here, many mentioned above are excellent thoughts. mostly, if you are within the weight limits and mfg tow limits, there are a few things that are key. one- your tongue weight. two- how the boat is balanced on the trailer and the trailers suspension setup. three- if you are maxing the vehicles ratings, the manufacturer has certain criteria under which it acheived those ratings, wheel base-4x4 or 4x2 engine , trans, rear differential etc.. make sure you know the gross COMBINED weight rating of your truck and what it is towing. not the max tow rating. these are VERY different. you are right , the back should not bounce severely . most of the comments on these threads are guess work as they need more information to accurately asess your situation. i tow for a living and would be happy to help you on the matter. call if you wish 847-809-7110. safety first! dont gamble your life on rushing to the lake unsafely.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You need a bigger truck. That Durango is made for people hauling; with a pop-up camper, or a pair of PWCs; no matter what the Dodge marketing department deems the tow rating ought to be.

Fact is, we never tow with the truck "empty". We've always got 3 days worth of luggage, and 2-5 people in the truck, tools, coolers, etc. etc. All of this weight diminishes from your overall GCWR. If your boat/trailer is already over the rating of your truck, you are already towing illegally, and just asking for more trouble.

Remember, fuel in the boat is 6 lbs. gallon; and water is 8 lbs. per gallon; then tools, anchors, lines, spare parts, etc. etc. too.
I been using my 2004 Durango for towing since I bought it new. first towing a 23 foot Wellcraft (5800 lbs, boat, fuel, and trailer), and now a 25 Outlaw (6200 lbs, boat, fuel, and trailer). Throw in a couple people, and a weeks worth of gear and I'm probably around 7000 - just under the max tow rating. I've never had and issues, I get people telling me all the time that my Durango is too small/not meant to tow like that, but I'm totally happy with it. did a 1900 mile tow a few months back picking up the Baja with no complaints (except for the fuel the Hemi drinks when towing!)
I wonder if Dodge has changed the suspension on newer models to save a few bucks in production costs.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Registered

Summit Racing where I got my air bags. Makes a huge difference. Do the air bags.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Registered

Air Bag's