Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Trailer Upgrades...I have questions >

Trailer Upgrades...I have questions

Notices

Trailer Upgrades...I have questions

Old 09-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

33 is too short. The boat is 35'7" The trailer itself is fine, its the axles and brake system that concern me. I have some buddies in the trailer manufacturing business that I will check with on axles, granted they build semi vans but have a full fabrication shop.

Thanks for the insight and help.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone told me these are good trailers.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Sir: I follow trailer related threads very closely as I am a proponet of correct towing. Throughout my Highway Patrol career, I have seen my share of towing boo-boos that often lead to catastrophic events. As I read your thread, my first thought was to encourage you to order/build a fresh trailer to fit your needs. You mentioned that idea is not feasible at this time. With that said, perhaps you could scope in on improving your running gear and stopping ability. I offer two suggestions:
1. Look into improving your axle/suspension system. The manufacturing industry offers both leaf springs and torsion systems to match higher capacity axle/wheel/tire combinations.
2. Give sincere thought to converting to electric/hydraulic brakes on all your axles. There is no better feeling as you are moving that large boat down the roadway that you can stop/slow quickly when the "jerk" moves out in front of you!! An added benefit to the e/h system is that you actually have brakes as you back down the boat ramp. You do not have this feature with your current system. As you convert your brake system, don't forget your breakaway system. I noticed your trailer bears Texas registration. If you are a Texas resident, I would be honored to share Texas requirements with you via e-mail.

I personally move a Formula 353 on a tri-axle Magnum trailer. I designed it with torsion suspension on 16" wheels/tires. My axle choice gives me a GVWR of 15,000. I also have e/h brakes on all axles. Your last question mentioned drive guard on a I-beam. I have that feature. I would be happy to send you photos of how we built the trailer. Can you tell....I am pretty proud of it, because it performs so well....barryd
Old 09-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Registered

Barry,

That would be great. I will PM You
Old 09-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barry knows his stuff--you'll be far ahead of the game to listen to his suggestions.
Jay
Old 09-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Registered

Thanks Jay. He is sending me some info by email.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

I would have kidnapped his trailer long ago if it would have worked with my boat
Jay
Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered

BUY A MYCO!! your trailer needs a ton of work. i am a trailer mechanic and i would recommend a new trailer. the amount of work need to upgrade yours is more than it is worth. good luck.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Registered

Thanks for the pics Barry. The Dexter axle tech is taking care of me on the load part of the trailer. I will definately be putting your designs on this trailer.

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any time, sir, correct trailering leads to a fun day on the water.....and that's what this is all about!!!

Quick Reply: Trailer Upgrades...I have questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.