Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Looking for a truck recommendation... >

Looking for a truck recommendation...

Notices

Looking for a truck recommendation...

Old 09-17-2008, 07:21 AM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a neophyte at hauling heavy boats but it seems to me that you cannot have too much truck! I lost my E/H brakes twice this year due to a mechanic screwing up. My F-350 DRW kept everything under control. I don't think a Toyota would have had a prayer
Old 09-17-2008, 07:22 AM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other point. In some states. I believe NY is one. The maximum width without a permit is 8' 0". So none of us are legal all the time.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by aTX427
What truck would you recommend for a 42 Fountain / Myco triple aluminum trailer - conventional towing 15,000 LBS total weight. Is a 1 ton legally overloaded or do I need to step up to a F650 or M2?

I have a totally stock (no power adders) 08 F350 dually and it works just fine. I tow my 43 NOR-TECH everywhere, and I know it weighs about the same as the 47 Fountain. I ordered mine up with the suspension upgrades, and the F450 front end, which includes different springs and the super tight turning radius. The pic shows the difference on the front fender well between the 07 and 08. Drive one and you will really apprieciate how much better the turning radius is as well as better handling. Pulls excellent. I trade every year for the 35k write off, and have sold the last two to some oso'rs. I have an identicle 09 coming, so if interested pm me. You will save 10k off invoice/cost and it only has 14k miles. Drive them all, check out the features, back up camera, bumper sensors, stuff like that. Good Luck. Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a truck recommendation...-2007-f350-truck-008.jpg   Looking for a truck recommendation...-2007-f350-truck-002-js.jpg  
Old 09-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like 15K # on the F350 and 16K # on the F450, which would put me right at or just over the legal limit, which is my primary concern. My F250 pulls the truck just fine, however if I was to get into accident and someone dies, I can be charged with manslaughter and most certainly sued regardless of fault.

I could not find the conventional tow rating or vehical weight on the F650 or Freightliner M2. Would the only limitation be the same 26,000 lb max GVWR with a standard license? If so, I would have to make sure the truck and payload is less than 10,000 lbs, which I am not sure of. Am I on track here? The only bad thing about the middle weight trucks is that they need to be registered and insured as commercial vehicals.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i insure my ford 550 with state farm as a commercial truck for personal use. and its not real expensive. i use to tow my cig with a chevy 1 ton and it did he job. but as you say hurt someone and you could go to jail and loose your house. keep the insurance down and store the truck in the off season my 550 comp only [storage]less than 100 for 6 months.p s the 550 is for sale I bought a sport chassis same insurance commercial truck/personal use 40+ years old no tickets less than a grand a year in storage 6 months makes it around 550 a year
Old 09-20-2008, 06:31 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A diesel F350.

But don't take any of our advice (we are an opinionated bunch), but go drive all three and see which one feels and drives the most solidly.
See ya in the Ford Superduty forums!
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a truck recommendation...-rig2.jpg  

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

There is no GCWR for the M2 (cant speak of the F-650, no experience with it but i bet its the same way). However, the truck can be registered and insured as a regular truck since the GCWR is below 26,001 lbs. I suspect you'll be over 26K loaded. So the rig will be legal as far as weight, but illegal as far as length and illegal without a CDL. I went through all this John when I bought mine and consulted with the former head of DPS licensing and weights and from what I remember there is no way of making you completely legal without
1) getting a CDL and an overlength permit for every trip
or
2) putting a "cooking unit" (hot plates dont qualify, we tried), and sleeping quarters and calling the truck a motorhome (no licensing, length, or weight limits for those)
or
3) making sure there are no "load bearing surfaces" i.e. a cab and chassis which makes it a legal weight tractor trailer (still need the license, but not the overlength permits in every state)

sounds like the only viable solution is TOTERHOME...however with all this said, you saw that we didnt get pulled over at all on the way to Destin...kinda makes it like gambling at every state line, just hit the gas going past the weighstations and keep your fingers crossed
Old 09-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by aTX427
Looks like 15K # on the F350 and 16K # on the F450, which would put me right at or just over the legal limit, which is my primary concern. My F250 pulls the truck just fine, however if I was to get into accident and someone dies, I can be charged with manslaughter and most certainly sued regardless of fault.

I could not find the conventional tow rating or vehical weight on the F650 or Freightliner M2. Would the only limitation be the same 26,000 lb max GVWR with a standard license? If so, I would have to make sure the truck and payload is less than 10,000 lbs, which I am not sure of. Am I on track here? The only bad thing about the middle weight trucks is that they need to be registered and insured as commercial vehicals.
To be legal, a Ford F450 is the choice. The true mediums weigh at least 14k, so to be legal you need a CDL. I got a CDL to tow legally with a heavy duty (semi) because that was the only legal choice until Ford upgraded the 2008 F450 tow rating. I now tow my 47 with a 450 and it is much quieter, smoother, and maneuverable. It handles great. I tow with a gooseneck to be legal but have towed conventional (over 21K) and it tows, launches, and manuevers very well.

Quick Reply: Looking for a truck recommendation...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.