Notices

Good Deal on 07 NBS Duramax?

Old 09-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
Her family should disown her.

I don't know about dragging anyone around, unless she's not stock, like some of those Cummins running 10's.

Actually, pickuptruck.com has a good write up comparing all three diesels, and the D-max was tops, and the Cummins was last by most all measures. But, I know that there's a bunch of bad Dodges out there with some tunes, etc.
I'm workin on the family but its not going as easily

so what are you going to drag around behind that thing
Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

I have had a a fair number of "bombed" trucks. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. A few with big turbos, big injectors and propane. They were defintely fun. I think I am over that now. The new 08 really impresses me with its power. No, it is not comparable to one that is "bombed", but it does very well, even with 40s.

Sam
Old 09-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hot Stepper
I'm workin on the family but its not going as easily

so what are you going to drag around behind that thing
I'll be buying a boat in spring, this is step one.

Hopefully a 28 AT or Pantera, or a cat if I can insure reasonably (so far no luck on that). I've been kicking props forever but this truck purchase shows some commitment this time.

I started just wanting a truck that could pull something when I bought it, nothing nice and bought an 05 2500 a month ago and some new wheels/tires for it. Now I'm looking at brand new trucks with lifts, haha. Anytime I start researching crap the costs go up..up....up.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Neverfastenuf
I have had a a fair number of "bombed" trucks. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. A few with big turbos, big injectors and propane. They were defintely fun. I think I am over that now. The new 08 really impresses me with its power. No, it is not comparable to one that is "bombed", but it does very well, even with 40s.

Sam
Yeah, 660 ft/lbs is not too shabby even stock.

Man, your truck is bad ass. If you had the black rockstars it would be my dream truck.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Registered

Duramax all the way....You will not be dissapointed. The best part about the Duramax is the availability of parts and electronics. A good example is EFI Live. With EFI Live on an LMM you can dump the DPF, make a ton of power and pretty much fine tune almost every aspect of the TCM and PCM. Try that with a dodge. Plus you get the Allison 1000 six speed tranny which in stock form is good to about 750 Ft/lbs.

There are some problems with the duramaxes that you should be aware of though, like injectors. They seem to go bad on all the generations of D-Maxes. Also the EGR valves onthe LLY and newer motors seem to go bad a lot, but they are all covered by warantee. Did i mention that you can block and turn off the EGR with EFI Live (and some over the counter programmers too)? The other thing that alot of the D-Max owners have problems with is the steering. I have gone through a few k in parts in the front end. If you are going to lift it expect problems with the tie rods, centerlink and idler and pitman arms along the line.

Other than that...great trucks. The powertrain is solid.....
Old 09-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Neverfastenuf

Sam

NOW THAT IS A DROP HITCH....and I thought my 10" anderson was a lot of drop. What rear springs are those? 10" Atlas or a 12" Atlas?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Registered

Here's where I am at with bolt ons on my lbz (exhaust, intake, lift pump, efi live and 37s). That is with factory 4.10 gears as well.

Last edited by CheckedOut; 09-29-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CheckedOut
Duramax all the way....You will not be dissapointed. The best part about the Duramax is the availability of parts and electronics. A good example is EFI Live. With EFI Live on an LMM you can dump the DPF, make a ton of power and pretty much fine tune almost every aspect of the TCM and PCM. Try that with a dodge. Plus you get the Allison 1000 six speed tranny which in stock form is good to about 750 Ft/lbs.

There are some problems with the duramaxes that you should be aware of though, like injectors. They seem to go bad on all the generations of D-Maxes. Also the EGR valves onthe LLY and newer motors seem to go bad a lot, but they are all covered by warantee. Did i mention that you can block and turn off the EGR with EFI Live (and some over the counter programmers too)? The other thing that alot of the D-Max owners have problems with is the steering. I have gone through a few k in parts in the front end. If you are going to lift it expect problems with the tie rods, centerlink and idler and pitman arms along the line.

Other than that...great trucks. The powertrain is solid.....
Those are all good points you make, but you have to throw out the warranty to get the performance out of it.

I've decided I'm going to go with a gasser as I won't be towing a ton, and won't put too many miles on. Since I want a warranty, I can't really hop it up like I'd want anyways. Doesn't help that without mods the LMM's milage is questionable at best. Combined with $4.39 diesel today compared to $3.51 regular it just doesn't make that much sense for me to spend that extra dough.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Registered

Those are all good points you make, but you have to throw out the warranty to get the performance out of it.

I've decided I'm going to go with a gasser as I won't be towing a ton, and won't put too many miles on. Since I want a warranty, I can't really hop it up like I'd want anyways. Doesn't help that without mods the LMM's milage is questionable at best. Combined with $4.39 diesel today compared to $3.51 regular it just doesn't make that much sense for me to spend that extra dough.
Not for everything. They waranteed my injectors under warantee and all other problems and rightly so. Any front end parts though and you are on your own on a lifted truck. It can be a crap shoot though and if you loose the whole engine you will likely be out the cash on that.

Are you looking at the 8.1? I though they stopped making the trucks with the 8.1? I can almost guarantee that with a stock duramax you will get close to 5 mpg better mileage than that truck. Make sure to check into the mileage before you buy especially with a big block gasser....I would look even on the 6 liter. Our H2 gets 2-3Mpg worse than my lifted duramax with 37s!! Crazy how much more fuel gassers burn....
Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Registered

This one has a 6in Fabtech (I think) which wouldn't be my first choice though.
The new Fabtech lifts with the "reduced offset spindles" are not too bad. You can tell if it has the new ones by looking at the spacers on the cvs. They should be very short, like half an inch. The longer ones are indicative of the old spindles which have a much wider front track. I personally would go with a cognito or bulletproof if i was going to do it again, but they all have their problems.

Quick Reply: Good Deal on 07 NBS Duramax?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.