Notices

Thank you, DOT..

Old 10-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
You were on the bus?!
No...I was the Yellow Pete that was hav'n a hard time stay'n in the lane next to ya. My ego was with you in spirit though.

Man, the memoirs I could write about the things I seen in cars as they passed me. Holy chit, didn't think it was possible to do that in the front seat!!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E Dock DD
In Oklahoma you can tag a Freightliner (I believe it is a M2 class) or a Ford F450 just like a small pickup truck (not as a commercial vehicle). I am sure that both of these trucks have a GVWR (truck and trailer) above 26,000 lbs. Please correct me if I am wrong on these ratings. Do you have to have a commercial vehicle driver's license in states other than Oklahoma to just drive this truck in other states? Do you have to have the CDL to pull a boat which puts you over 26,000 lbs combined? Do you have to have a CDL in Oklahoma? Do you have to stop at the weigh stations if you are pulling a recreational boat? Do you have to stop at the weigh stations if the truck is not pulling a trailer? If the truck meets the RV requirements and is tagged as an RV, does this change any of the answers? And the boat trailer does not have a tag in Oklahoma.

Both FL's are registered as RV's last I heard. According to the Registration in the glovebox anyways. That gives a Class D drivers license the ability to use airbrakes and have a 26k limit. Also, both trucks are 26k, not over. they make a 33k fl, though too. We have one at work. Both the FL's have hydraulic brakes with AIR PARKING BRAKE..

Trailers dont need to be registered in oklahoma.. we are a funny state.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission when it comes to towing non commercial or recreational items. There are 48 lower states and each has different rules concerning the CDL and commercial vehicle scenario. If a vehicle has a gvw over 26,000 it is considered commercial irregardless of anything else and requires a CDL license and is suppose to stop at weigh stations. A truck and trailer combination that weigh more than 26,000 gross are considered commercial vehicles and require a CDL. Most states as far as I know give leniency to rv's, etc. that exceed the 26,000 rule, because they are not commercial. Example: A Greyhound bus built on a Prevost chassis has to stop at weigh stations, and requires a CDL licensed driver. The same Prevost chassised motorhome does not have to stop at weigh stations and can be driven by anyone with a valid drivers license. Likewise, some states turn their head to the Freightliner style trucks pulling the race car trailers that are considered rv units, and some don't, and they are all way over 26,000 pounds.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses to my questions. Keep them coming if you want. Most of the responses have been along what I thought they would be.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Waterboy,

When I registered my Box Van commercial in Oklahoma back in 2000 I had to give the tag agent a weight for the registration, it could be lower than the door but not above. The tax was figured by the year and weight. Do they no longer require that on commercial vehicles?
Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Prater
Waterboy,

When I registered my Box Van commercial in Oklahoma back in 2000 I had to give the tag agent a weight for the registration, it could be lower than the door but not above. The tax was figured by the year and weight. Do they no longer require that on commercial vehicles?
yup. We register each truck at GVWR. Their arguement is that the truck and trailer combination had the ability to carry more than the trucks legal capability because of such a large trailer.

puuuuuuuuure b.s.

thats like arresting someone because they have the ability to kill someone..
Old 10-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree that was pretty crappy ordeal.