Notices

EZ-Lube Spindles

Old 10-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default EZ-Lube Spindles

My three new axles are ready to install. They have the Dexter EZ-Lube spindle and I was wondering if anyone else uses that spindle on their boat trailer? if so can you use a Bearing Buddy with them?

http://dexteraxle.com/e_z_lube_system
Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have these hubs on my 48' enclosed car trailer, nice hubs but I do not think that they are designed to be submersed in water. Doug
Old 10-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They are for use were the axles are immersed in water, that is one of their strong points according to Dexter. I picked these up at the Dexter Factory in Oklahoma today and talked about the Dexter brake system also. I think I will go that route instead of Kodiak. I wont ever have the trailer in salt anyways.

Last edited by Prater; 10-10-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have them on my trailer that dunks in salt water with no problems. Bearing buddies would be a waste of money. While grease is pumped on the small end of the spindle it will force into the large side and back into the small side of the spindle.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them on my trailer (Owens& Sons) for about 5 yrs now and dunk is salt about once a week. IMHO they are way better then bearing buddies because you pump the grease into both bearings rater then just fill the cavity on the outer bearing. You can actually pump loads of grease thru to cycle out the grease if you want. (I still take apart every now and then to inspect and all that)
Old 10-10-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Doug might be thinking of oil-bath hubs, as you would find on medium and HD trucks & trailers.

You can use bearing buddies on the EZ-Lube's but I'd prefer these- http://www.airtighthubs.com/products-sport.php

The object of either is to prevent water from being drawn in when the warm bearing hits the cold water and the internal volume contracts.

Here are instructions specific to using the Airtite with drilled spindles, including pics- http://www.airtighthubs.com/PDF%20fi...nceandOper.pdf

Additionally, the Airtite has a far superior backside seal.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 10-10-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

I have them on my trailer, Performance Trailer, and my understanding is that you should not use bearing buddys. The principal of the E-Z lubes is to push the grease thru the center of the spindle, thru the rear/inner bearing, thru the front/outer bearing and out of the assembly. Replacing the old grease with new and pushing the old out. Makes sense that the bearing buddy would screw up/prevent this process. The owner of Performance is a friend and the info is from him, I would think he would be a good source, he uses Dexter E-Z lubes on the trailers he builds. There is some info on these on the Dexter site that shows how they are designed to work.

One way to help keep water from being sucked in is to simply let things, bearings etc, cool down before you launch.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 10-10-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to the second link I posted and you'll see how drilled axles work.

They don't push grease out the back, the circulate it from the rear, foward, through the races. BB's will not help or hinder the operation in any way- they simply provide positive pressure inside the hub cavity.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myco uses the EZ Lube.

Need I say more?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
BB's will not help or hinder the operation in any way- they simply provide positive pressure inside the hub cavity.
Not sure if you meant BBs or Airtight's system, but EZ-Lube/Posi Lube were designed to do away with Bearing Buddies. Adding A BB would negate the benefit of the EZ Lube design.

Quick Reply: EZ-Lube Spindles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.