Notices

Trailer tires?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer tires?

Hey guys what trailer tires . I have a 14000+ load on a Road Runner tripple axle .It has 225/75/r15 on it now need to change out for piece of mind, couple are older all are D load range .Also thinking I should go up to load range E. I have had trouble in the past with the D rated but maybe because they were old. With all the bad PR on GY marathons and Carliasle seperating what do I go too ?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Registered

i asked same question a while back at tire shops. one shop said stay with D, especially for long distance. D tires dont build up as much heat and cool quicker. Made since and I didnt have spend money on new tires, no problems put another 6k miles on them no problems. By the way i tow between 14 and 17 k lbs on a tripple axle. Hope this helps, Jaime
Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redcorvetteman3
Hey guys what trailer tires . I have a 14000+ load on a Road Runner tripple axle .It has 225/75/r15 on it now need to change out for piece of mind, couple are older all are D load range .Also thinking I should go up to load range E. I have had trouble in the past with the D rated but maybe because they were old. With all the bad PR on GY marathons and Carliasle seperating what do I go too ?
I don't know what you're talkin about with GY Marathons seperating. I've had the Carlisle 225/75r15's in a class E load range on my triple axel trailer with a 33 Fountain on it. Over a 4 year period, towing about 1200-1500 miles a year, I blewout about 2 tires a summer. Finally about 3 years ago, I bought 7 new GY Marathons in the same load and size, and have never had a single problem with them. EVERY person that I know that used the Carlisle's, had similiar problems with them, belts breaking, shifting, sidewalls giving out, threads seperating, etc, etc, etc. I would'nt put those Carlisles on a kids bike. Their nothin but a headache for everyone that's used them. Maybe there's a better tire than the Marathon, but for the size that you're asking about, I think the best bet is the GD Marathons. I am totally satisfied with them, and so is everybody else that switched to them too.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got E's on my trailer and never an issue. Can't recall brand, but they are not GY's or Carlisles.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-10-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Registered

Blew out 2 carlisle's on the way home from picking up new boat and trailer within 1000 miles. Switched to marathons and havent had a problem since in over 4000 miles (15k trailer)
Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
GOODYEAR WORKHORSE "D" no problem !!!
Aren't these studdable truck tires?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Registered

Default tires

I talked to my local BIG O tire guy he said they have had more problems with G Y and Carlisles than with the off brand Gladiater?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Registered

I am going to try Denman on my trailer.
http://www.denmantire.com/catalog.php

Later,

Fin
Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Registered

I had 2 blowouts with Carlisles last August on the way home from Florida. I went out of town last weekend (without my boat) and when I got home I noticed that my SPARE (Carlisle) on my trailer was blown out The tread had already started separating before but I guess the heat got to it and it let loose. I'm going today to get 2 new tires, (gonna take a chance with the old Carlisles as spares), since I bought 2 new ones on the way home from Florida last year.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 AM
Registered

I had GY for a while then had 3 of the 4 separate on way home from Keys last year. Trailer builder said he used to always use GY but a couple yrs back their quality went in the toilet and he has seen TONS of thread separation so quire using them. Tires were about 3.5 yrs old and although I tow fairly often I am way anal about trailer stuff and they were never run low etc. Builder sold me some off brand (Transmaster I think) he has had decent luck with....so far anyhow. I don't know if you can get a decent tire in my size. (14').

Quick Reply: Trailer tires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.