Notices

6.4L PS Issues

Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng
Don, go buy a clean used '07 with a 6.0 if you're worried about the new motor. Probably get one for half of what a new truck would cost. Thats the way I would go if I was in the market right now.
That's exactly what I have been thinking. I know the 6.0 wasn't without problems either but it just seems like there are a lot of bad stories circulating about the 6.4.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertjr
This is directed to Jassman, what rear end gear is your truck? robertjr

this 08 is 3.73.. the 07 6.0 was 4.10
Attached Thumbnails 6.4L PS Issues-2007-f350-truck-002-js.jpg  

Last edited by Jassman; 03-19-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems with mine! 08 F350 6.4PS 3.73 4x4 Crew Cab SRW Short Box. 25k miles 16mpg w/o trailer. Two simple recalls one was to flash the chip for exhaust filter cleaning and one to reroute the radiator overflow. Awesome truck. I would probably pass on the 6.0. If I were to get an older one I would get a 7.3.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The early 6.0s made a bad name for that series... The latter 6.0s from 05-07 were pretty good engines, except if you got crazy with a tuner, you would blow headgaskets, and the egr coolers would fail.

The 6.4 is a very good motor, the MPG is a little crappier compared to the 6.0, but thats easily remedied with a DPF delete and tune (turning off the regen). There is also a new flash from ford that increases the MPG on the 6.4, by changing the parameters at which the regen kicks in.

If you happen to get an 08, just make sure its a Job 3 truck. The 09s are good to go! (Not to mention the 08+ tow command systems are compatible with electric over hydraulic braking systems as long as there is a compatible actuator installed)

Good luck, and I think you will be very happy with the new 6.4L..
Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Registered

Early(job 1 build) 08's with the 6.4 had radiator problems and overall the general consensus is the fuel mileage sux but that pretty much seems to be the only real consistent problem I've seen and I watch the www.powerstroke.org forum regularly.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Slick02
Early(job 1 build) 08's with the 6.4 had radiator problems and overall the general consensus is the fuel mileage sux but that pretty much seems to be the only real consistent problem I've seen and I watch the www.powerstroke.org forum regularly.
Slick, is there a way to tell Job 1, from 2 or 3? A dealer around here has an '08 dually sitting on his lot and will make me a great deal on it but I don't want to bail off in it if it's a job 1.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Croozin2
Slick, is there a way to tell Job 1, from 2 or 3? A dealer around here has an '08 dually sitting on his lot and will make me a great deal on it but I don't want to bail off in it if it's a job 1.
If it is a new vehicle, it will be on the window sticker. At any rate, I believe there are recall notices to fix all of the job 1 issues. Replace the radiator and get the latest flash and you have a job 3. By the way, I have owned both a 6.0 and 6.4. The 6.4 is far superior. It is a much more refined engine. Good luck
Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tesheer
If it is a new vehicle, it will be on the window sticker. At any rate, I believe there are recall notices to fix all of the job 1 issues. Replace the radiator and get the latest flash and you have a job 3. By the way, I have owned both a 6.0 and 6.4. The 6.4 is far superior. It is a much more refined engine. Good luck
Good info sir!! It is a new '08 which is why the dealer is willing to make such a sweet deal on it. I think I'll ride up there this weekend and check it out.

You guys gonna make the 200 this year? I will be off Friday this year so the fun-run will definitely get an earlier start. Probably have evryone over to the condo later that afternoon/evening as well. Looking forward to it.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Registered

1 easy way to tell is the front air dam on the bumpers. The air dam on the job 1 trucks were about 2 inches tall, the air dam on the job 2 trucks are about 4-5 inches tall
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Registered

You guys gonna make the 200 this year? I will be off Friday this year so the fun-run will definitely get an earlier start. Probably have evryone over to the condo later that afternoon/evening as well. Looking forward to it.
Unfortunately we are not going to make it this year. The wife will be 7 months along by then, so it is a no go. We all know if Moma ain't happy, nobody's happy. Also good call from FASTTIMES on the front spoiler. The Job 2 and subsequent trucks got a bigger air dam to help with airflow and mileage.

Quick Reply: 6.4L PS Issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.