Notices

2010 F450

Old 01-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZBODaytona
So now after how many years.. Please... I own a 04 ram with a cummins and an 05 ford, the neighbor has an 05 dodge too. Stock the ford has more power and better tranny than the dodge by far. I would never hook the dodges to the things i hooked my fords too. Heck my old 7.3 had the same power..but way better tranny. It took them how long to finally build a truck that competes with the durmax and ford. They didn't get a good tranny till when? Besides doesn't matter how good the motor is if you cant get it to the ground. Now I know I can make more power with the cummins but we are talking stock trucks. SO now after so many years dodge is finally making a good auto tow truck. Sure it was fine with the stick...but gear grabin TO ME is for sports cars. I want to get in the truck put it in drive and go.

With all that said, I still like dodge, would drive it next after my ford. Maybe first now that they seem to be putting decent autos and better interiors in there with that great motor. But to say the older trucks were just as good isn't fair argument. The motors might be better and able to produce more power (after upgrades) but comparing two 05 together, my ford wins hands down.
Well I can't argue with any of that, except I didn't say the older trucks were just as good as the new ones. They weren't.

Speaking of transmissions, Dodge had two really good manuals-the NV4500(5 speed) and 5600(6 speed).My 06 dually has the G56 manual courtesy of Mercedes Benz which is not as good as the NV56 it replaced. I agree the Dodge automatics were not good, but none of the stock transmissions from Ford and GM can handle more than 100hp over stock reliably so if you want more than that you're going to have to rebuild them anyways. Same with Dodge.

I would take the 5.7 and 6.1 Hemis over the Ford and GM motors too. And just remember, nobody swaps a Ford or GM diesel into a Dodge, but they do swap the Cummins into Ford and GM trucks.

Last edited by Catmando; 01-26-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually from what I have read, and experienced to a little degree my self, the ford autos can handle much more than just 100HP more. From friends and reading the allison is only good for a 100 more stock, My friends chevy is at the limits of his trans and if he pushes hard you can feel it not being happy. I know my ford takes more with no issues, and have been told they are good up to around 750. Weather that is true i will never know, but I do know mine takes more than 100 and has been just fine with that amount.
I knew the manuals in the dodges were good, but like i said, not a fan of them. They swap those cummins in because like i said they can make more power, and cheaply too...
So since your up on the dodges so much, hows the new auto they are putting in there, I almost found out myself. We were going to upgrade the wifes truck to a newer one, but decided we just stay with the 04 till all the manufactures get the emissions stuff working better. Though we still keep kicking the idea around.
Also so you know, I am a huge dodge fan, just don't think they compare with the ford enough for me err (yet). I still have my first dodge a 97 ram 1500, though it isn't any where near stock anymore.

Last edited by ZBODaytona; 01-27-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So since your up on the dodges so much, hows the new auto they are putting in there, I almost found out myself. We were going to upgrade the wifes truck to a newer one, but decided we just stay with the 04 till all the manufactures get the emissions stuff working better. Though we still keep kicking the idea around.
Also so you know, I am a huge dodge fan, just don't think they compare with the ford enough for me err (yet). I still have my first dodge a 97 ram 1500, though it isn't any where near stock anymore. ZBODaytona

Well I have the G56 manual transmission in my truck so I know very little about the new 68RFE or the Aisin trans that is found in the 4500-5500s. So I went to my fave Cummins forum and found a thread about the 68RFE. That's the one in the 2500-3500 diesel trucks. One thing I didn't know is that this transmission can be manually shifted through all six gears. I don't think it has paddle shifters on the steering wheel; you have to use the gearshift but that's still pretty neat and useful in some situations(like when you want to blow off a Yota ricer ). Anyways here is the thread;

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-...-question.html

I don't blame you for waiting for the new parts to shake out. However, the good thing with Dodge automatics is a simple torque converter change and a deep trans pan and trans cooler(http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....er=TRANSCOOL_3) will allow them to hold at least 500hp and most guys don't take their motors that high anyway.

Dodge made the biggest changes inside the truck to make it a much better driving experience. I think the reason they waited so long to do that is most guys buy diesels to work in and they didn't care much about comfort. But now their wives are riding with them and you know what that means lol. My wife absolutely HATES to ride in my dually even with the airbags.

I hope I'll be able to trade for the new truck when the time comes to buy the RV. I don't even want to test drive the 2010 now because I know it's so much better than my 06.

Last edited by Catmando; 01-27-2010 at 07:41 PM.