Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Thoughts of the 2004 Chevy duramax dually? >

Thoughts of the 2004 Chevy duramax dually?

Notices

Thoughts of the 2004 Chevy duramax dually?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts of the 2004 Chevy duramax dually?

Thoughts of the 2004 Chevy duramax dually? Any known issues?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Injectors
Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Injectors and the cost associated with replacing them and you can't buy them new. You pay new price for factory refurbs.

If you can find a good tech at the dealer that will help you get a warranty set shortly before the engine falls out of warranty would be very helpful and cost saving.

Stay on top of that fuel filter and find a lower micron then the factory one. Stuff gets by it and it causes problems. And that water sensor at the bottom sux. It does not work worth a hoot based on my experience with some water in the fuel.

I could not believe what got past my filters in the past. Other than the shift patterns, the injectors are the only real issue I have with the truck. I've put 145k on mine since bought new in 04.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy injector nozzles from aftermarket outfits like Dynomite Diesel and others. They come in hp ratings so you can get 40 to maybe 150hp nozzles. As for fuel filters I use Wix in my Dodge. To separate water from the fuel the Airdog 150 fuel pump and bypass oil filter will get that job done. They're expensive but well worth the money.

Are you looking to buy the truck or do you already own it?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a lead on a very clean truck with low miles. From everything I read the injectors are the issue. This is the case with all diesels. The duramax appears to have the least amount of problems over the big three. Maybe I am wrong.

What does a set ov injectors and installation cost? Can I do it myself if I am fairly handy?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

IIRC, GM extended the warranty for injector issues to 200K, with no time limit. Also, ACDelco just came out with a new fuel filter (TP3012) p/n 12633243, for all Duramax's 01-09.
200% increase in service life and greatly improves removal of emulsified water (the major contributor to fuel system issues)

My mechanic brought me one, but haven't changed it yet. $39.18..........
Old 05-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by joew.
I have a lead on a very clean truck with low miles. From everything I read the injectors are the issue. This is the case with all diesels. The duramax appears to have the least amount of problems over the big three. Maybe I am wrong.

What does a set ov injectors and installation cost? Can I do it myself if I am fairly handy?
On my 03 GMC just replaced all 8 under warranty at 145K miles. They have extended coverage on the earlier Duramax motors to 200K miles/7 years for injectors. I had not had a single issue until the injectors starting leaking. Motor has 6500+ hours on it and other than fluid changes/filters that has been it! The injectors are expensive (few hundred each X 8). GM covered the job and changed the oil as part of the recall/warranty. It has been 6months/12K miles since it was done with no issues.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 596 Likes on 275 Posts

Are those still used in my 07 classic?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Are those still used in my 07 classic?
No.......the early Duramax's had defective injectors. The problem was corrected by 2004ish. Your classic has injectors but not the ones that were failing prematurely.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by joew.

Joe - if the deal is right, I would pull the trigger. As others have said, the injectors are under warranty. You can't go wrong with a Duramax. I've got about 78k on my 05 and have only had one problem with the #7 injector plug (not the actual injector) which can be remedied with an ice pick! Other than that, no problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.