Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
03 powerstroke overheats only when towing >

03 powerstroke overheats only when towing

Notices

03 powerstroke overheats only when towing

Old 06-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawkcat
could be the blue oval on the front
Good thing too, if it were one of the other two then the wheels would have fallen off
Old 06-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawkcat
could be the blue oval on the front
Looking for help and answers not a smart azz comment
Old 06-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered

I noticed that when cold the fan clutch is stiffer to turn than when hot it losens up, shouldt that be the other way around.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Registered

Put a scanner on it and check your oil temp versus coolant temp. If it's greater than a 15 degree spread, you need a new oil cooler.
If anyone has ever added any regular antifreeze to it, it would have gelled up the cooler and caused flow issues.
- after re-reading - when mine started to overheat when towing, I heard the fan kicking on excessively, which led me to find out why it was so hot and it was the oil cooler. If you aren't hearing the fan, I would look in to why that isn't kicking on. I believe the tool my guy used to trouble shoot mine could tell the fan to kick on to see if it was working at the right temp settings.

Last edited by ImaPoser; 06-06-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Registered

Today i replaced the clutch fan with another new one from ford, still dont hear a roar of anykind, the fan is drawing air through the ac condenser and radiator i tested it with a smoke machine and it draws it through fron 1' out in front of the grill at all points of the condenser. I did notice that the top rad hose is pretty hot but the bottom one is luke warm could this be a flow problem with the radiator or a tstat not opening all the way restricting the flow hence not letting the rag get hot enough to engage the clutch fan.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rssteiny
Today i replaced the clutch fan with another new one from ford, still dont hear a roar of anykind, the fan is drawing air through the ac condenser and radiator i tested it with a smoke machine and it draws it through fron 1' out in front of the grill at all points of the condenser. I did notice that the top rad hose is pretty hot but the bottom one is luke warm could this be a flow problem with the radiator or a tstat not opening all the way restricting the flow hence not letting the rag get hot enough to engage the clutch fan.

That's why I suggest a flush. If the t-stat is not opening all the way or radiator is plugged that would explain everything. A flush should be simple.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Flush is a waste wont do you any good. If the temop is that much differant find the rrestiction of flow
-Mike
Old 06-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wannabe
My suggestion is to first flush your cooling system. Then install an electric fan in front of radiator if still overheating.

Wannabe
The word is electric fans don't work well towing over 10,000lbs.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Registered

I had a different truck do this and I did everything that has been mentioned and I found it to be the tensioner on the belt was bad. Didn't notice it when it wasn't towing, once hooked up she would get hot. I changed the clutch on the fan, flushed, when I went to change the water pump I noticed the tensioner would stay way ever I would put it.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Registered

I just replaced the radiator and t stat and will find out tomorrow when i tow the boat if it fixed it or not ill post the results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.