Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Which powerstroke diesel should I stay away when looking at fords? is it the 6.0 or ? >

Which powerstroke diesel should I stay away when looking at fords? is it the 6.0 or ?

Notices

Which powerstroke diesel should I stay away when looking at fords? is it the 6.0 or ?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
Thats crap! Duramax is made by isuzu and gets no respect from me. I have yet to meet a ford engineer that does not love the 6.0. tell your friends to support their brand and product or work for isuzu in japan!

THE 6.0'S WORST ENEMY IS A BAD TECHNICIAN!
dayuum, didnt mean to strike a nerve, i just going upon my personal experience, now, i would own a ford with acummins and allison trans, dont get me wrong the ford is a beautiful truck but in my eyes they arnt relible tow pigs! just saying!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by [email protected]
dayuum, didnt mean to strike a nerve, i just going upon my personal experience, now, i would own a ford with acummins and allison trans, dont get me wrong the ford is a beautiful truck but in my eyes they arnt relible tow pigs! just saying!
I'm Sorry I was out of line.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
There are only four head studs per cylinder. You can't keep the heads torqued down with any more than stock power. VERY poor decision and I hope they fired whoever made that decision.

Here's what Wiki says;

The 7.3 L (444 CID) Power Stroke was replaced by the 6.0 L (365 CID) for the 2003 model year. This version was built until mid December 2006 (2007 model year). Many 6.0 L Power Stroke engines were proven to be unreliable,[1] and may have cost Ford hundreds of millions of dollars in warranty repairs and leading to a recall and repurchase of at least 500 trucks. There were initial quality challenges which Ford and Navistar have mostly rectified. The reliability of the later 6.0 L engines, after the dealership technicians were fully trained on the product, has been very good. Many early problems were disastrous, requiring total engine replacement. There were also minor problems resulting from the unreliable variable-vane turbocharger solenoid, EGR valve carbon deposit clogging or sticking, defective Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) sensor/connector, numerous PCM (Powetrain Control Module) recalibrations, fuel injector harness chafing/crushing and other minor driveability and QC issues. Many problems were related to Ford's software. There were many running changes to the engine and in the 2006 year model the 6.0 had the lowest rate of warranty claims across the board for Ford Motor Company when compared to all of Ford's gas and diesel engines. [citation needed]

The EGR valve carbon deposit issue in the 6.0 L has proved common enough to merit some special attention. When the valve clogs, it requires replacement, which has often been done under the powertrain warranty. However, it is only a matter of time, depending on driving conditions, before the EGR valve will again fail and require replacement. When the valve fails, the "Check Engine" light comes on, and the idle becomes slightly more rough, though the engine continues to function with no apparent loss of power.

There are a number of fixes for this—authorized, and "otherwise"—that will remedy the problem on a longer-term basis. The most comprehensive remedy to this problem is with a new cooler that has been developed. This new EGR cooler has had the old style radiator-like body removed from inside the cooler and had it replaced by a new, stainless steel inner body. While still maintaining the same look, fit and function of the old cooler, this allows for a more robust and capable EGR cooler. It still allows the engine and the emissions systems to function properly and keeps the truck operating according to most local and federal laws. Another remedy is to modify the exhaust system so that exhaust gas no longer passes through the EGR system at all, also known as EGR deletion. This modification can, in some years of the 6.0L, itself trigger a "Check Engine" light, which aftermarket engine programming might remedy. However, while very effective and safe from a technical standpoint when performed properly, this modification is most certainly in the "otherwise" category and can void the engine warranty, chiefly because it is illegal in many jurisdictions to bypass the EGR or any other emissions-reduction system except for "off-road" use only.

The engine has an 3.74 in (95 mm) bore and 4.13 in (104.9 mm) stroke for a displacement of 365 cu in (6 L) or 5954 cc. It utilizes a turbocharger and intercooler, producing 325 hp (242 kW) and 570 lb·ft (773 N·m) with an 18:1 compression ratio, with fuel cutoff at 4200 rpm, but having a redline of 4500 rpm only attainable with aftermarket performance programming.

This engine is still being utilized in the E-series until the end of the 2009 calendar year. The engine is the same configuration as the 2007 model year.
[edit] Key specifications

* Fuel Injection system: Split Shot HEUI (Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injectors)
* Valve Train: OHV 4-V
* Turbo configuration: Single Variable Vane Geometry (VGT)

I still love my 6.0 sooooo much!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

It was international that had poor calibration strategies. there are just as many calibration files and updates for the 7.3 as there is for the 6.0.... It has cost international and ford a good ammount in warranty repairs. the 7.3 still has the largest recall of any ford diesel.

I will agree. the head bolt numbers. The 7.3 has 5 and the 6.0 has four. i dont get it. but i know that i have seen a 6.0 chipped up and on propane running 1000hp with factory bolts with a similar gasket like on the 7.3 not the MLS. and they held

Cummins and Powerstroke both had many problems with the introduction of EGR..... Think of the last diesel that you know that has it. It is hard to handle. Shoving waste back into the engine... comeon! Now everyone is fighting with the re-generative emissions.

this looks like a post from a douche on wikipedia. and one more comment: I have replaced more 7.3 longblocks than a 6.0 and i have replaced more 6.4 longblocks than the both put together. all under warranty.

and read the above.... how does wire chafing lead to a calibration issue... that is why i stay away from those sites. i would get so frusturated from the ammount of information passed without any knowledge of the subject. I am in the trenches every day... I make my living fixing ford products. This is what i know and i am happy to help. this is why i try and provide info on these sites. everyone is nice enough to help me. so i should return the favor.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was international that had poor calibration strategies. there are just as many calibration files and updates for the 7.3 as there is for the 6.0.... It has cost international and ford a good ammount in warranty repairs. the 7.3 still has the largest recall of any ford diesel.

Maybe that's why Ford and Navistar parted ways? I mean, look at the new International pickup. 225hp and 500ftlbs torque??? In today's light duty diesel world that's embarrassing wouldn't you say?

Well IMO even with the V8 platform, which is NOT the most reliable heavy haul motor, Ford has put together a very powerful, fuel-efficient diesel. I take my hat off to them for that!

Now let's see an LTL hotshotter run this motor 5-6 days a week for a year or so. How will it hold up under that kind of severe duty? The Cummins has already proven itself in that arena.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
... that is why i stay away from those sites. i would get so frusturated from the ammount of information passed without any knowledge of the subject. I am in the trenches every day... I make my living fixing ford products. This is what i know and i am happy to help. this is why i try and provide info on these sites. everyone is nice enough to help me. so i should return the favor.
Fixxxer, thanks for sharing your Ford product knowledge to the masses. And I don't even own a Ford. But I have read your posts here and on SO because it is extremely informative to learn from someone who lives it as opposed to those who Google it. You should be charging for the help you are providing.

I've been working on one make and model of car that falls in a certain year model range for over twenty years. Needless to say, I know the product pretty well. I've spent less time on websites devoted to my product in my life than I'll spend on OSO in a week. It's unbelievable the idiotic nonsense that people will offer up. And I'm sure if I volunteered my knowledge, I'd end up in an argument with someone without a clue. Everyone here with a Ford should send you cookies at X-mas.

I can understand Cat's loyalty to his beloved Cummins product, but muddying up your help line is akin to going on Steve1's Powerplay thread and arguing why a Cig TG is better than a PP 38. Why bother...
Old 06-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

i would own a ford with acummins and allison trans, dont get me wrong the ford is a beautiful truck but in my eyes they arnt relible tow pigs! just saying! mhydro

International has never built a reliable tow motor. The 7.3 was the best of them and it still had lots of problems. The V8s just don't stand up to heavy towing on a daily basis.

If I was building a truck it would be the F650, the 5.9 Cummins and the NV5600 6speed manual or the Allison 2000 automatic.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:39 AM
Registered

I'm new to this site and haven't seen or had the time to find a definitive answer. Should I buy an 03' F250 w/ the 6.0L? From researching other sites, they all say to stay away from the 03 and 04s. Is there anything that can be done to an 03 to make it worth purchasing, or should I continue looking for a later model 6.0? Any thoughts on the MKM customs 6.0 powerstroke solution? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Buy a 2006 6.0. They had the problems fixed by that time. I've not had any problems with mine, have 50,000 miles on it.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

BTW I agree with Fixxxer about buying American, especially your tow vehicle. You won't find a Nissan or Toyota that will handle the loads our trucks can.

And Fixxxer, the Duramax might be Japanese designed, but Isuzu no longer has anything to do with that motor. It is built in the United States by GM with no Japanese parts(that I know of).

Last edited by Catmando; 09-11-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.