Notices

Problems with Electric Brakes

Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

why would a 2010 dually not have a break controller wired in from the factory? Doesn't seem right, the truck was built to pull.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
why would a 2010 dually not have a break controller wired in from the factory? Doesn't seem right, the truck was built to pull.
I guess it is only one more reason why Ford is a better truck than Chevy other than in looks.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
It is an option, I believe.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
I had a new electric brake sysytem installed in my 2010 one ton Chevy dually and it will not activate the brakes on my Extreme boat trailer.

The brakes worked fine when hooked up to my F650, so I know they work, but not with the new system in the Chevy. The installing dealer says all is right.

Someone told me there is an adapter for Carlyle brakes. Any idea's where to start? Dan
Had the same problem after changing from ford to chevy. I took my trailer to extreme where they replaced the pump assembly. Brakes worked fine for about two days, then they quit again. I finally called carlyle and got with an engineer there. They told me to remove the Ford control module that is wired into the control pump.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tman
On my 08 chev. there was a wire that i hooked up to the fuse box that was under my master cyl . in a wire loom that was a hot wire for a rv 7 wire plug . look in the owners manual ?
check this out.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-brake-co...silverado.aspx

I found this after spending a wasted hour trying to sort out the same problem

by the way, some slightly older chevy's (07 on back, i think) have a dummy fuse instead of a real one to power the lug that you connect to.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Banned

Thanks everyone for your help.

After wanting to upgrade me to a "top of the line" controller, the shop finally listened to all your advice and put constant 12v power to the trailer plug which allowed the brakes to actually work.

It has been real scary the last two weekends without trailer brakes. I am now concerned about what was posted about the Ford module vs the Chevy.

I hope all is good this weekend. Dan
Old 04-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

That shop is not much of a trailer shop.... They obviously didn't test the system before returning the truck to you.
Its common knowledge that there are two elements... Constant 12v and controller signal wire.

What size fuse is in the 12V constant? 30A will"wear " out in no time.... I run 40-50A.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 04-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tim G.
That shop is not much of a trailer shop.... They obviously didn't test the system before returning the truck to you.
Its common knowledge that there are two elements... Constant 12v and controller signal wire.

What size fuse is in the 12V constant? 30A will"wear " out in no time.... I run 40-50A.
You know the weird thing is they are one of the biggest, oldest and well know in the north Atlanta area, Pat Rogers Hitches. They have done our trailer hitches for years and normally do go work.

I am going to check the size of the fuse. Apparently, they do not see many systems like this. I did not tow the boat to the shop, just the truck.

They were amazed a boat didn't have surge brakes and acted like they have never seen this type of brakes on a boat, only a large trailer.