Notices

2011 GMC 3500 Denali

Old 04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 GMC 3500 Denali

I just took delivery of an ordered Denali. Specs. ordered; included the only option given, related to trailer brakes.

However, owners manual fine print explains: The built in control may not be compatible with Electric/Hydraulic trailer brakes.

The dealer concurs with the owners manual and explains, you have to add a second control. The second control is to be mounted on the instrument panel, where your knee bumps it.

The question was asked: What are the options to that idea ? Welllll, you might go on line and see what you can find.

Soooo, here I am, any suggestions ?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2011 gmc 3500 works fine with my myco trailer I did put the adaptor on the braktite on the trailer. The adaptor tells the truck it is elec brakes.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bill63
My 2011 gmc 3500 works fine with my myco trailer I did put the adaptor on the braktite on the trailer. The adaptor tells the truck it is elec brakes.
Thanks Bill, we also have a BrakeRite, Electric over Hydraulic pump. What else can you share about the adaptor ? Does the adaptor come from GM or BrakeRite and where does the adaptor install ?

We have other trailers, the pickup will pull them from time to time. Those trailers have straight electric. Will the adaptor work with those or is there a procedure required when switching from one technology to the other ?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CcanDo
Thanks Bill, we also have a BrakeRite, Electric over Hydraulic pump. What else can you share about the adaptor ? Does the adaptor come from GM or BrakeRite and where does the adaptor install ?

We have other trailers, the pickup will pull them from time to time. Those trailers have straight electric. Will the adaptor work with those or is there a procedure required when switching from one technology to the other ?
The adaptor. Is wired on the trailer not the truck call brake rite for the adaptor newer brake rites have it installed already mine was a 2006 and had to be hard wired into pump no big deal. No wiring on the truck . With the adaptor tells the truck it's a elec brake system.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Or call myco those guys are awsome
Old 04-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bill63
The adaptor. Is wired on the trailer not the truck call brake rite for the adaptor newer brake rites have it installed already mine was a 2006 and had to be hard wired into pump no big deal. No wiring on the truck . With the adaptor tells the truck it's a elec brake system.
Thanks Bill, with your help, we dodged that Bullet.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is the 3500 Denali all wheel drive or part time 4x4

It appeared that the 2500 was only available as an all wheel drive and I really didn't want that. I prefer to have the option of 2WD for the majority of my driving.

I cant say that I looked very far into the options as I decided to keep my 06 max for another year. But I was very interested in getting the Denali 2500 and might this winter.

How about some pics?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Registered

Hey Ccando, any relation to the race boat(s)? This is Lil Miss Dangerous out of Bay City.

I have a 2011 duramax. The controller will not recognize a "loop" with the electric over hydraulic (doesn't electrically see the motor). It Will recognize straight electric (magnets complete a loop electrically). You have to wire 2 magnets in parallel on the trailer wiring by the pump motor so the oem controller will sense a loop as it doesn't see the motor on electric over hyd. and thinks it's open. I have a schematic here somewhere if you are interested.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by supercat
Hey Ccando, any relation to the race boat(s)? This is Lil Miss Dangerous out of Bay City.

I have a 2011 duramax. The controller will not recognize a "loop" with the electric over hydraulic (doesn't electrically see the motor). It Will recognize straight electric (magnets complete a loop electrically). You have to wire 2 magnets in parallel on the trailer wiring by the pump motor so the oem controller will sense a loop as it doesn't see the motor on electric over hyd. and thinks it's open. I have a schematic here somewhere if you are interested.
That what the add on module in the trailer break system does.
Good info.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by supercat

Hi Supercat, The Motion was originally raced as Udderly Fantastic and then Cat Can Do. We took it down to the last nut and bolt and put it back together with all new parts.

I'll look for specifics about "Lil Miss Dangerous".

GM Engineering has been alerted to the control issue. Electric/ Hydraulic is designed to be proportional. Alternate solutions will move the brakes, just not as consistently controllable as a properly designed proportional control module/system.

Also, it is argued, anything to defeat the original proportional architecture identifies the defeating entity as "Ultimate Vendor". The "Ultimate Vendor" then assumes liability.

A modern replacement control, fitted to the original instrument panel cut out was requested and said to be under immediate consideration. A document providing VIN indemnification was also discussed.

GM proposed a 2nd control and installation at no charge, but stalled at the indemnification document.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.