Notices

Triple Axle Tire Wear

Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Triple Axle Tire Wear

Is there a 'standard' tire wear pattern I should see on my triple axle trailer?

I'm asking because my front left tire was bald. right rear and right front tires are tied for the next wearing the next fastest but not bald. The others all seem about the same.

I have disc brakes on the front two axles.

I put the spare on the front axle. lubed everything up. and raised the hitch a couple inches (thinking there is too much load on the front) Dragged the empty trailer approx. 70 miles to where my boat is. All tires and hubs were good.

Loaded the boat up, drove the 70 miles home. Center hub is smoking hot. no signs of other issues, tire wear, or brake problems. I'll swap the center hub but anything else I should look at? Tire rotation?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

1. Could brake be dragging that wheel?
2. Check alignment of axles, if that axle is an inch or two too far forward/back it would cause the tire to be dog legged out.
3. Was tire wear even or inside/outside worn?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
1. Could brake be dragging that wheel?
2. Check alignment of axles, if that axle is an inch or two too far forward/back it would cause the tire to be dog legged out.
3. Was tire wear even or inside/outside worn?
I thought it might be the brake, but everything seems fine. no problems at all with the new tire.

2) haven't checked, but the trailer is less than 2 years old...

3) evenly worn right in the middle.

I'll add that when I used the trailer all the time (boat is in rack storage now) my trip to the ramp was about an hour of twisty roads and turns. not sure if that matters. I was thinking if too much weight was on the front axle and I'm turning a lot, certain tires would just wear more?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worn right in the middle was probably over inflated, or a broken belt causing it to bulge out in the middle. I would be worried if it were on wither edge. just check the inflation, and do a visual on the treads often.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Worn right in the middle was probably over inflated, or a broken belt causing it to bulge out in the middle. I would be worried if it were on wither edge. just check the inflation, and do a visual on the treads often.
Broken belt usually blows tire long before it wears out!

I did the Jax. Poker Run a few years ago, 5 of 6 tires broke belts on that run, came home the last 20 miles on 4 tires!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Vette, check the tire dates,,they could have gave you old chitty tires..are they bias or radials?? i dont like radial tires on boat trailers,i like to feel what im pulling and bias seem to last longer for me..
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Broken belt usually blows tire long before it wears out!

I did the Jax. Poker Run a few years ago, 5 of 6 tires broke belts on that run, came home the last 20 miles on 4 tires!
Usually, But not always
Old 04-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

The front axles take a lot of abuse when parking the boat in a tight space. Are all the tires straight up and down.

I know I bent an axle once because I turned the trailer too hard backing up and it dragged the tire sideways bending the axle.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Vette, check the tire dates,,they could have gave you old chitty tires..are they bias or radials?? i dont like radial tires on boat trailers,i like to feel what im pulling and bias seem to last longer for me..
I'll check the dates but would be shocked if they were old. They are not radials.

I do park have to extreme turn to get it in/out of my driveway. Talking near jackknife to get it in.

I'm anal about air pressure. all the tires are inflated to spec.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
I do park have to extreme turn to get it in/out of my driveway. Talking near jackknife to get it in.
I do my best to try and make the tight turns on a dirty roadway (sand/dirt) so the tires slide sideways easier. I know that's not always possible but I try and avoid the sharp jack-knife situations the best I can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.