Notices

Need Some Trailer Help!! WTF

Old 05-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Trailer Help!! WTF

Hey guys,(I don't know how to explain this)

Its a tripple axle tow master 10,500lb trailer. It came with my boat when I bought it 5 years ago. I haven't really done anything with it because my boat is lift kept and I don't really trailer it anywhere. But this season I decided i want to get the trailer in shape. So bought all new bearing, races, seals etc. new brakes(rotor,calipers, pad). I got 5 out of 6 wheels done. My 6th wheel was the worst, while I was trailering the boat last year to put it back in the water, the bearings all came out, the wheel kicked sidways, had to tie it up etc.. I didn't fix it last year and just left it tied up since then.

Ok so when I went to put the 1 piece rotor/hubs on, the first side went on perfect, no issues. When I came to the passenger side, I tried putting the hub on and noticed it doesn't slide as far up the spindle as the other side. Both spindles measure the same lenght. The bad spindle has this tapered thing on it, I don't think it should be on there..Look at the pics and tell me what you think.

The Good side

Bad one

Last edited by pshannon; 05-05-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Registered

What is this?

Old 05-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

thats the old inner bearing/race,
sorry but you need a axle to make it right again.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd tend to agree that it's what's left of the old bearing / race. It probably got welded on when everythinmg went bad on you, then rusted on over the winter. I'd seriously question the integrity of that axle stub even if you manage to get the remains off.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep old inner race,try walking it off with an air chisel (rotate left-right) or I have used heat not a lot but some on the race.You can also use a high speed cut off tool and cut a grove,put the air chisel in the grove it should(key word) break and come off.I think it depends on wether it welded itself to the spindle or its just rusted there.If it welded...spindle time if its just rusted and you get it off without damaging the spindle you might (key word) be ok.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered

I would have to say worse comes to worst cut it off just be careful not to cut the spindle, its probably just froze on from rust being as its still on there due to a bearing failure
Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Registered

Even if you get the old inner ring off that spindle is going to need a lot of reconditioning, if it cleans up at all. May just be time to pony up for a new axle.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

What everybode else said!
i run across this all the time when my customers refuse to do the annual bearing repack.. im pretty good with a cutting torch so i usually cut a slit in whats left over of the bearing, then as mentioned use a air chisel to get the rest of it off..

if its really bad then you could replace just the end of the axle but it will need to be cut off and weld a new one on....do a search in your area, google trailer axle repair and you may find a guy in your area that does this type of repair..
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

be surprised if the seal would seal on that surface. All of it looks pretty pitted. 'IF' the spindle is ok after you clean up the rust, you can try a speedy sleeve if available. The pitting at the race surfaces really won't effect anything as long as the bearings are still a nice slip fit, no slop. But you need a smooth, pit free surface for the seal. Take some emery cloth over it once you get the old race off and see how she cleans up.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-05-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Easy fix............ use a cutoff wheel to cut a groove in the old race. Be carefull not to hit the seal surface. Use an air chisle to walk it off or a large chisle and hammer to split the race and slide it off. The use some 100 grit crocus cloth and clean the seal surface untill smooth. Finish with a 220 grit on seal surface and race surface to "clean them up". Repack bearings with waterproof grease and on the road again.

If you need more help call me 410-573-9776, I am in Davidsonville and do trailer work all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.