Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2006 Ford 6.0 F-350 BRAKE problems >

2006 Ford 6.0 F-350 BRAKE problems

Notices

2006 Ford 6.0 F-350 BRAKE problems

Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Default 2006 Ford 6.0 F-350 BRAKE problems

I have a 2006 Ford 6.0 F-350 CC SRW, short bed FX-4 with 28,000 miles on it and been having BRAKE problems for the last year or so.
It started last year, when my RR brake started to "Drag" alittle just going down the road, towing or not. The RR brake would drag, but you couldn't really feel it, and when I stopped, that brake was smoking a little. I ended up have to replace the caliper and pads. NOW the FR brake is beginning to do the same thing..... The truck doesn't move unless it's towing 1 of the boats or hauling something... It's sits ALOT, sometimes for 4-5 weeks at a time.....
I can't figure out what the heck is going on? Could it be the ABS controller......
Any input or thought would be greatly appreicated.
Thanks,
Dean
Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
I have a 2006 Ford 6.0 F-350 CC SRW, short bed FX-4 with 28,000 miles on it and been having BRAKE problems for the last year or so.
It started last year, when my RR brake started to "Drag" alittle just going down the road, towing or not. The RR brake would drag, but you couldn't really feel it, and when I stopped, that brake was smoking a little. I ended up have to replace the caliper and pads. NOW the FR brake is beginning to do the same thing..... The truck doesn't move unless it's towing 1 of the boats or hauling something... It's sits ALOT, sometimes for 4-5 weeks at a time.....
I can't figure out what the heck is going on? Could it be the ABS controller......
Any input or thought would be greatly appreicated.
Thanks,
Dean

get a new caliper and swap it out , if the rubber boot is cracked or tore road grit will kill the pistons
Old 05-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by fountainfan42
get a new caliper and swap it out , if the rubber boot is cracked or tore road grit will kill the pistons
That's what I'm probobly going to do, I just can't figure out why sometimes it does it, and most of the time it doesn't drag.... I don't 4wheel with the truck or anything, it's just a boat hauler and a Home Depot supplies hauler.....?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

check where the caliper sits and slides on the mount .over time rust will build up and the clearance will go away and the ability of the caliper to slide freely away from the rotor will be lost a few minutes with a sanding disc and a small amount of caliper slide grease will work wonders
Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
That's what I'm probobly going to do, I just can't figure out why sometimes it does it, and most of the time it doesn't drag.... I don't 4wheel with the truck or anything, it's just a boat hauler and a Home Depot supplies hauler.....?
just changed 3 Calipers on my Excursion since December and the truck has never seen snow in its life ,the rubber boots were dry rotted & cracked .good luck
Old 05-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks guys for the info. I'm going to tear apart this weekend.
Dean
Old 05-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

As others have said, the Sliders are the #1 issue back there. New parts will help, but make sure not to use Never Sieze as a slider lubricant. You absolutley have to use the special high temperature silicone slider lube you can buy at the parts store.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Registered

The Key word in the sentence is the truck sits. You need to drive the truck once a week or every other weekend or you are not to have issues with rotors rusting, slides sticking, caliper sticking etc. I see this stuff everyday in my shop as we have older clientel who don't drive much. My advice to you is fix the brake and start putting some non towing miles on the truck, drive to work once in a week, get it out on the express way and let it breath

my .02