Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Acceptable trailer brake rotor temp. >

Acceptable trailer brake rotor temp.

Notices

Acceptable trailer brake rotor temp.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What brand are the brakes? Some came with organic pads ... easy on rotor, but lots of brake dust and faster pad wear. I bought a Kodiak brake kit to replace the junk Tie Down disc brakes on a previous trailer and the box with the calipers said "loaded with new improved ceramic pads". Very little brake dust and they wore well. My latest Myco trailer, which was purchased new, had Kodiaks, but organic pads and significant brake dust
Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok came home today,walked past they were hot.Put a temp gun on them 550 degrees.So I have a problem.

Trailer is new been used about 8 times.
Came back from Michigan empty no problem
As soon as boat was on it started getting warm but normal
Brake dust keep increasing
Now they must be hanging up

Won't be able to pull it apart till Wen. night.Calipers stuck on the slides? Actuator? weird that its all four wheels.Let me know what you think

Thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Surge or EoH?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Surge or EoH?
Surge
Old 07-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

How hilly is it where you live Tim? Lots of downhill? The trailer can ride the Surge brake system by leaning forward on it, heating up the brakes.

If it's all 4 of them, I have to imagine it's in the actuator. There is a valve that comes in most of the couplers as this valve is needed for surge brakes. The valve needs to be either punctured or removed to use the same coupler for disc brakes. I know I've read about it, and it might be here:
http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html#techretro
Worst case, call Champion. They can talk you through checking your system.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Registered

Flat where I live,Talked to Rob from Manning he is sending me a new master cylinder.Will read through that link tonight thanks will let everyone know.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Sounds like your calipers are "dragging" on the rotor. Could be a faulty master cylinder or something in the actuator that is causing hydraulic pressure to be maintained even when not breaking.

I had a simiar issue with my trailer resulting in heavy accumulations of brake dust and hot to the touch hubs, although not 550 degrees of hot.

I made the swith to EOH and hubs run warm to the touch, almost no brake dust and much better braking performance.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Another comment to add. If your temps got to 550 degrees I'd have the axle seals replaced as they may have been compromised at that temp.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Tim, you've got a brand new, awesome trailer, and I bet you are not dumping your truck anytime soon. Go ahead and make the investment in an EoH system, and add a brake controller to your truck. It is the single best investment you can make in trailering your boat. I guarantee it.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

Here is a bit more Ghee Whiz info. Just a suggestion, but it may help someone someday.

If you are going to check your hub temps by hand, do not try to grab them using the front or palm of the hand. Instead use the back of the hand. Just place the back of the hand near the hub and if you dont feel excessive heat then touch the back of the hand to the hub. If it feels OK you should be fine.

If you use the front or palm of the hand and try to "grab" the hub the bodies reaction could be to flex, grab and hold on. If temps are high this could cause significant burns.

If you use the back of the hand & temps are excessive your hand will pull away, reducing the chance of a burn. Plus the back of your hand is generally more sensitive to heat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.