Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
35-40' Performance boat trailering experience? >

35-40' Performance boat trailering experience?

Notices

35-40' Performance boat trailering experience?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 PM
  #11  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,671
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by boot View Post
c deezy had (one) good point. Most ramps SUCK to launch anything bigger then 25 feet. Ramps are short and steep. can't get the right angle with a 40 footer on most ramps. you will need to experiment on your local ramps or watch others with big boats to see how it works for them. If you go away from home, plan ahead! ask people on this site that ive in the area for a good ramp to use. And MAKE SURE they own a large boat.
That's a really good point, you don't want to grind the middle of your trailer because it's too steep.
Captain YARRR is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 AM
  #12  
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sudbury Ontario
Posts: 2,771
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I went from a 28 foot Powerquest ridding on a tandem axle Eagle trailer to a 38 Powerquest ridding on a triple axle Vanguard trailer and I can get into more ramps with the 38 than I could with the 28.
The trailer on the 38 sits higher and although it is longer I have yet to get hung up where I used to with the 28.
As far as towing with the longer rig it does make it a little harder for on the road fuel fill ups but with a little planing and wise choices it isn't that bad.
verbi69 is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 09:56 AM
  #13  
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Sydwayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 23,615
Received 902 Likes on 391 Posts
Default

Anything a SRW can do a DRW can do better--when it comes to towing.

It's about wheelbase as well. If you have a short wheelbase SRW, it's not going to be as stable of a towing platform as a CC/LB.

One of the best things you can do to add towing stability (NOT CAPACITY), is wider than factory wheels--like 8-9-10 inches (proper weight capacity), and a bigger tire footprint, (again, proper weight capacity). And you can add rear-helper airbags. They help the springs carry the weight by adding another distribution point too the frame. I have run them on all of my towing trucks; INCLUDING my dually. They also improve ride-quality and handling when NOT towing.
Sydwayz is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 AM
  #14  
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sudbury Ontario
Posts: 2,771
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I pull my 38 with a Ford F450 dually diesel, the truck never wanders or begs for driver input. I also have rear airbags and I cannot be happier with the stability of the set up at speeds.
Transports or crosswinds play zero factor while towing on the highway.
Another thing to keep in mind as it has been mentioned before, if you are towing beyond the manufacturers rating and are involved in an accident you may be left out in the cold...
verbi69 is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 01:22 PM
  #15  
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Scenery Hill, Pa.
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by verbi69 View Post
I pull my 38 with a Ford F450 dually diesel, the truck never wanders or begs for driver input. I also have rear airbags and I cannot be happier with the stability of the set up at speeds.
Transports or crosswinds play zero factor while towing on the highway.
Another thing to keep in mind as it has been mentioned before, if you are towing beyond the manufacturers rating and are involved in an accident you may be left out in the cold...
+1.... I towed my Formula357 with a GMC 2500HD/Dmax for 2 years. I thought it was fine till I bought a dually this spring. There is no comparison when it comes to handling. If you plan on alot of towing, I would consider a dually.
Cold Sweat is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 PM
  #16  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Studley,Virginia
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
Anything a SRW can do a DRW can do better--when it comes to towing.

It's about wheelbase as well. If you have a short wheelbase SRW, it's not going to be as stable of a towing platform as a CC/LB.

One of the best things you can do to add towing stability (NOT CAPACITY), is wider than factory wheels--like 8-9-10 inches (proper weight capacity), and a bigger tire footprint, (again, proper weight capacity). And you can add rear-helper airbags. They help the springs carry the weight by adding another distribution point too the frame. I have run them on all of my towing trucks; INCLUDING my dually. They also improve ride-quality and handling when NOT towing.
+1. Nothing beats a dually for towing.
bajario52 is offline  
Old 07-09-2011, 05:17 PM
  #17  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Flemington, N.J. U.S.A
Posts: 2,174
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I am not nocking a dually in any way . If you can afford to have just for that , go for it. it is better.

I did pull a 45 sonic with triple 502's behind an Ford excursion in 6 inches of snow From NJ. to Washington DC. (before the trans went)! NOT reccomended , but doooable!
boot is offline  
Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 AM
  #18  
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Sydwayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 23,615
Received 902 Likes on 391 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by boot View Post
I am not nocking a dually in any way . If you can afford to have just for that , go for it. it is better.

I did pull a 45 sonic with triple 502's behind an Ford excursion in 6 inches of snow From NJ. to Washington DC. (before the trans went)! NOT reccomended , but doooable!
I remember that!
Sydwayz is offline  
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 PM
  #19  
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
weldcrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 555
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

bigger is better
weldcrane is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.