Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Test drove a new Ford F250 for about 6 hours today >

Test drove a new Ford F250 for about 6 hours today

Notices

Test drove a new Ford F250 for about 6 hours today

Old 09-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
From this review, it sounds like the Ford made up a lot of ground this year, Dodge automatics still have a lot to be desired, and the oldest of the group, the GM's, are still the winners. (flame suit on)
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....roduction.html
All nice trucks. But Think dodge is the front runner for looks, but probably third overall. I truely believe ford and chevy are neck and neck, although think Ford moved forward this year. I suspect a strong push from chevy in 2013 or even 2012 they are due for something record breaking.

Last edited by soldier4402; 09-23-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Looking at a new F350 truck too. The local dealer has one of these 2011 sitting there too. Just can''t get over the "ranch" color interior......or the sticker price either though I'm sure they will want to move this soon. It's been there for awhile.
I am with you on the King Ranch. It is great, don't get me wrong, I just like the Lariat package better.

Sam
Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Neverfastenuf
I am with you on the King Ranch. It is great, don't get me wrong, I just like the Lariat package better.

Sam
King ranch is nice but I think its really a waste of money. Lariat is exspensive enough and really does not give you any other features. The black angus seats and tan paint all over them doesn't make them drive better or tow better
Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
From this review, it sounds like the Ford made up a lot of ground this year, Dodge automatics still have a lot to be desired, and the oldest of the group, the GM's, are still the winners. (flame suit on)
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....roduction.html
Never even considered "exhaust braking" a performance catagory.......nor would I consider it a parameter during a buy desision! LOL Let's remove that from that testing scores and see where the REAL and important numbers line up on those trucks (they even have a foot note there saying "Exhaust brake performance had a significant impact on the final scores."

Scores without the "exhaust braking"............

Ford 676.14
GMC 657.96
Dodge 609.94

Old 09-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Registered

I have had several Ford trucks. If I get a larger boat that will be my next truck. A friend has one and it drives with ease.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im with you on this Nort.

A good exhaust brake is a nice thing as a guy with a 36ft diesel pusher motorhome I know this. That said a few brakes stabs on a downhill push just dont seem to be that big of a deal to me.

Assigning it the weight they did in this test was questionable in my mind.

Uncle Dave
Old 09-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Never even considered "exhaust braking" a performance catagory.......nor would I consider it a parameter during a buy desision! LOL Let's remove that from that testing scores and see where the REAL and important numbers line up on those trucks (they even have a foot note there saying "Exhaust brake performance had a significant impact on the final scores."

Scores without the "exhaust braking"............

Ford 676.14
GMC 657.96
Dodge 609.94

If you tow in the mountains you will definitely consider exhaust braking in your decision of which truck to buy.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Registered

I do tow in the mountains and quite frequently(2-4 times a year) the Davis Dam grade mentioned in this very test.

I "do" Mojave a few times a year and hit this grade when I do.

I've never thought having to stab the brakes a couple times on a long down hill was that unusual, I guess Im used to a pac brake on my motorhome (a bit less effective than a true Jake brake and a lot less noisy)

For me, I end up towing stop and go through towns and traffic jams a lot more time than i go down Davis or Eisenhower- so having a truck that slows from 40-0 quicker is actually more of a benefit to me than a truck I have to roll into the brakes a few times while when descending a steep grade.

As far as my towing needs go, the test doesn't properly weight what is a priority to me.

(that said not all of us guys do the same things so I get it)

UD
Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

The exhaust brake and transmission work excellent on my 250 but I'm just over 12K. Towing is a pleasure. I truely think technology is going to have to change to make these trucks significantly better. I drove one of the new Rams for one of my friends. It was nice smooth and tight. Would be a fine choice. I just prefer the Ford for the looks and interior.

Last edited by SkiDoc; 09-25-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered

I think exhaust break is a nice thing to and should be inlcuded in performance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.