Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Nor-Tech 50' cat behind a 3500 GMC? >

Nor-Tech 50' cat behind a 3500 GMC?

Notices

Nor-Tech 50' cat behind a 3500 GMC?

Old 10-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nor-Tech 50' cat behind a 3500 GMC?

Hi guys,

I do powerboats as a life bread. I have one customer now who bought a Nor-Tech 5000 Roadster with 4x700 SCIs. The boat sits on a MYCO goose neck trailer with a "king pin" (not 2" 5/16 ball coupler). I have a 2002 GMC 3500 dually crew cab long bed. Question: Can I haul this boat (for shorte distances on the road with my truck? The tow truck does not have ratings for the weight, but is it "safe"??

I know that a goose neck distribute much of the trailer's weight onto the bed. But will it be too much weight? I took off one of the brackets where the "help spring" touch when I lowered the truck some time ago. It makes it softer and much better for the usual towing I do. What about air bags?

The truck has a MaxBrake brake controller and original trailer wiring.

The trailer has a Brakerite pump and also a tank right next to it... Is this regular el over hydraulic or something else? I have heard the term air-over-hydraulic.... How does this work??

ALL info greatly apprechiated!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha 225
Hi guys,

I do powerboats as a life bread. I have one customer now who bought a Nor-Tech 5000 Roadster with 4x700 SCIs. The boat sits on a MYCO goose neck trailer with a "king pin" (not 2" 5/16 ball coupler). I have a 2002 GMC 3500 dually crew cab long bed. Question: Can I haul this boat (for shorte distances on the road with my truck? The tow truck does not have ratings for the weight, but is it "safe"??

I know that a goose neck distribute much of the trailer's weight onto the bed. But will it be too much weight? I took off one of the brackets where the "help spring" touch when I lowered the truck some time ago. It makes it softer and much better for the usual towing I do. What about air bags?

The truck has a MaxBrake brake controller and original trailer wiring.

The trailer has a Brakerite pump and also a tank right next to it... Is this regular el over hydraulic or something else? I have heard the term air-over-hydraulic.... How does this work??

ALL info greatly apprechiated!
Air bags would be a good idea. I lowered my 1 ton dually and removed 3 leafs from each side to soften the ride. I than added a ride-rite kit to make up for what I lost by removing the leafs. The kit I put on added 5000 lbs. of extra capacity!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI if an accident occurs when towing over the max limits, no insurance coverage
Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered

Default 3550 towing 50 ft

Insult to injury is when you have an accident and your insurance company tells you your once 50 ft boat that is now 25 ft is totaled and they won't cover it because you pulled out of class and then the guy you rear ended sues you for negligence unless you find a judge that sees the value of 2800 hp, $40k paint job and the ability to burn 200 gph at WOT (how's that for a run on sentence!)
Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

If I were in your shoes I would have a professional move it like the race organizations do. Yes it will cost a lot of money but you will be assured of a safe transport.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Y225 is in Norway. Everything is different over there.

Do you have any pictures of the trailer? "King pin" usually refers to a trailer with a 5th wheel attachment akin to a full blown tractor-trailer setup. These can be towed with a pickup like yours, but you need the proper attachment in the bed of the truck.

A "gooseneck" setup has just that, a long goose neck off the front of the trailer, that drops all the way down to what looks like a 2-5/16
inch ball mounted in the bed of the truck.

Back to your question:
Would I tow with that kind of weight behind that truck? No way in hell. Maybe in and out of the barn, but that's about it. If you can afford that kind of boat, you can afford the right kind of big rig to tow it with.

Short or long distance does not matter. All it takes is 3 feet of towing distance for a little kid to pull out on his bike in front of you, and you can't stop causing a tragedy.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-22-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Registered

First of all, everything must work like the coupler (need an adapter from 5th wheel kingpin to 2" 5/16), the braking (the brakerite pump does not run now), lights work fine etc. The question is if it will be stable and can stop.. My truck is upgraded with "4500 brakes" and stops a 47 Lightning easy even if the trailer have no brakes at all. I need to pick up the boat for the guy who bought it. I am thinking of doing it at night when there are no others on the road. Norway is different. Here are most things in life forbidden such as new trucks and 850hp+ boat engines.. :-(
Old 10-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Yamaha 225
First of all, everything must work like the coupler (need an adapter from 5th wheel kingpin to 2" 5/16), the braking (the brakerite pump does not run now), lights work fine etc. The question is if it will be stable and can stop.. My truck is upgraded with "4500 brakes" and stops a 47 Lightning easy even if the trailer have no brakes at all. I need to pick up the boat for the guy who bought it. I am thinking of doing it at night when there are no others on the road. Norway is different. Here are most things in life forbidden such as new trucks and 850hp+ boat engines.. :-(
Just a question. I live in copenhagen, so we are pretty much in the same boat. What do you mean by new trucks not being leagal? Also, norway is not part of the EU, so why can't you buy engines, that are out of the EU emmision laws? Are airbags leagal in Norway? They aren't in Denmark. I would get a flat bed truck with a crane, and load trailer, boat et al, up on that, and have them deal with the permits. Plenty of companies up here that hauls boats. Besides. When you have the money for that boat, why on earth not spend a little on safe transport? The Norwegian police is not exactly easy going either, when you're doing traffic violations.

Sorry for the off topic.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Your truck will pull the boat good. "Safe" depends on driver more then equipment. Proper tire pressure. Working brakes. And air bags will help.

I tow a 50ft trailer weighing 20,000 lbs everyday for a living behind my dodge. I have put over 600,000 miles accident free doing this.

Yes my insurance covers it.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Registered

If it was mine I would not risk it. Regardless of what others have posted about it being fine, it is not. That setup is to large for a normal pickup. All it takes is one mistake and you have lost everything. Buy a larger truck or pay to have it moved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.