Notices

Made in USA, Interesting

Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"...One of Ronald Reagan's poorest ideas as President was to encourage Foreign corporations to come to this Country and build plants here. He should have, instead, passed import tariffs to match the same tariffs extant on our products in the Asian Countries. To do this he allowed foreign corporations to pay NO taxes to the Federal Government. Additionally, States and citys offered foreign companies not only no State or local taxes but millions of US taxpayer dollars added to the incentive to locate in those cities. So, essentially, the American taxpayer has had his economic future compromised by his own tax dollars..."

I love the whole post but I wanted to quote this paragraph in particular. We have little or no manufacturing left. What American products can we buy now?? Well here is a website that just started up. They don't have many products now but they advertise American products exclusively and are looking for American companies that want to display their products online. So if you know of any American-owned companies, please give them this URL;

http://keepamerica.com
Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Didn't read all the replies but...

I traded in my 2002 F350 SRW crew cab 4x4 diesel FX4 loaded etc with 38k miles on my 2007 Tundra Double Cab. Before the F350, I had 2000 Chevy truck, 1998 Chevy truck, and on down the line with all being made by the "Big 3". I've been given everything from 1/2 ton 2wd Big 3 trucks to 1 1/2 ton dually crew cab diesels as work trucks from people who contracted me to run projects. I now own 3 Toyotas and a Lexus. When my friends ask why I drive all Toyotas now, I reply "Vehicles made by the Big 3 are for rich people. I can't afford to have my cars at the dealership getting fixed every month." (I do love duramax/allison diesels but I don't like the package the come in.)

As far as profits, you guys should take a look at GM's new plants over in China. Impressive to say the least.

As far as how people should spend their money, I buy what I want because I work hard for my money and you should too. Personally, I'm done buying vehicles that fall apart after 5 years. Anyone who doesn't like what I buy can either start paying for my vehicles or ki$$ my @$$.

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 12-13-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Registered

Everything from here I am saying from first hand knowledge. Not from any articles, studies, or anyone else with an agenda. I have personally been involved in or ran projects in assembly plants of the "Big 3", Toyota, and Mitsubishi. Also, steel foundries, power plants (coal, nuclear, and wind), food manufacturing plants, etc.

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I am guessing a lot of the raw materials comes from Japan as well.
Not true. Toyota buys ALOT of steel from US Steel due to the high quality of the metallurgical composition in the steel. So much so in fact that Toyota offered the same discount that assembly line workers at Toyota plants got to employees of National Steel before US Steel bought out National Steel. US Steel is American owned as you would expect.

Kuka robotics are used widely in Chrysler assembly plants. Engineers at Kuka are great people to work with and make a great product. Here's links if you want to check them out...
http://www.kuka-robotics.com/usa/en/
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KUKA

If you drive a Ford, chances are your wiring harness is made by Yazaki. Here's some links if you want to check them out...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazaki
http://www.yazaki.com/

Also, a lot of steam turbines in power houses originally built by General Power, Allis-Chalmers, etc are being upgraded with Toshiba rotors and housings. I'm proud to say I took one steam turbine from roughly 750,000hp to over 1 million horsepower (converting kilowatt to horsepower) with a Toshiba retrofit. How many people get to say they built a turbine that made over 1 million horsepower? Links for those interested...
http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/power/engl...s/steamidx.htm
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba

Here's a pic of one of the turbine retrofits I took. This is a 1 million horsepower retrofit. Price tag... over $5 million just for the rotor.

I hear people say they buy cars from the Big 3 because they are American owned and the profits stay in the USA. What I can tell you first hand is that they spend their profits on products owned by companies all over the world. In the end, the money gets spread out all over. Doesn't matter what you buy.

If I think of other stuff that pops in my head, I'll add it. Hard to remember everything when you've been doing it for over 9 years with a ton of travelling.

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 12-13-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

I always find it interesting when people complain that foreign companies profits go back to their countries. And where does the big money that GM makes in China go? Um, that would be back here. And that would be OK?

As for the comments insinuating that Toyota trucks are pretty much just kits shipped over here to be assembled, grow up and read. The "made in America" content on a Tundra is actually higher than Ford, GM or Dodge. Like it or not.

As for me, I have a 2010 Ford truck and a 2006 Toyota car. The car now has 93,000 miles on it and is hands down better built and more reliable than my truck. Like it or not.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
I always find it interesting when people complain that foreign companies profits go back to their countries. And where does the big money that GM makes in China go? Um, that would be back here. And that would be OK?

As for the comments insinuating that Toyota trucks are pretty much just kits shipped over here to be assembled, grow up and read. The "made in America" content on a Tundra is actually higher than Ford, GM or Dodge. Like it or not.

As for me, I have a 2010 Ford truck and a 2006 Toyota car. The car now has 93,000 miles on it and is hands down better built and more reliable than my truck. Like it or not.
Yeah it would be ok for GM to bring profits back here, you feel bad for the chinsese or something, because its coming back here. We have to start having the mentality of taking care of number one.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
Everything from here I am saying from first hand knowledge. Not from any articles, studies, or anyone else with an agenda. I have personally been involved in or ran projects in assembly plants of the "Big 3", Toyota, and Mitsubishi. Also, steel foundries, power plants (coal, nuclear, and wind), food manufacturing plants, etc.

Not true. Toyota buys ALOT of steel from US Steel due to the high quality of the metallurgical composition in the steel. So much so in fact that Toyota offered the same discount that assembly line workers at Toyota plants got to employees of National Steel before US Steel bought out National Steel. US Steel is American owned as you would expect.

Kuka robotics are used widely in Chrysler assembly plants. Engineers at Kuka are great people to work with and make a great product. Here's links if you want to check them out...
http://www.kuka-robotics.com/usa/en/
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KUKA

If you drive a Ford, chances are your wiring harness is made by Yazaki. Here's some links if you want to check them out...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazaki
http://www.yazaki.com/

Also, a lot of steam turbines in power houses originally built by General Power, Allis-Chalmers, etc are being upgraded with Toshiba rotors and housings. I'm proud to say I took one steam turbine from roughly 750,000hp to over 1 million horsepower (converting kilowatt to horsepower) with a Toshiba retrofit. How many people get to say they built a turbine that made over 1 million horsepower? Links for those interested...
http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/power/engl...s/steamidx.htm
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba

Here's a pic of one of the turbine retrofits I took. This is a 1 million horsepower retrofit. Price tag... over $5 million just for the rotor.

I hear people say they buy cars from the Big 3 because they are American owned and the profits stay in the USA. What I can tell you first hand is that they spend their profits on products owned by companies all over the world. In the end, the money gets spread out all over. Doesn't matter what you buy.

If I think of other stuff that pops in my head, I'll add it. Hard to remember everything when you've been doing it for over 9 years with a ton of travelling.
I couldnt find it but I thought there was a technique where the japanese buy our steel, bring it offshore than bring it back and save tons of money on tariffs and taxes and what not. I could be wrong but I thought I read this.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hematite
The long and short is that you're completely correct. Additionally, not only would more jobs be ultimately created by American corporate reinvestent of profits but our taxes would be reduced.

One of Ronald Reagan's poorest ideas as President was to encourage Foreign corporations to come to this Country and build plants here. He should have, instead, passed import tariffs to match the same tariffs extant on our products in the Asian Countries. To do this he allowed foreign corporations to pay NO taxes to the Federal Government. Additionally, States and citys offered foreign companies not only no State or local taxes but millions of US taxpayer dollars added to the incentive to locate in those cities. So, essentially, the American taxpayer has had his economic future compromised by his own tax dollars.

The foreign companies have certainly abused this to the Nth degree as they have had a track record of picking up and moving their plant to some other city offering massive incentives 9.5 years after they have located somewhere else.

The foreign companies will tell you that they hire union workers but they are paid, on the average, half of what US companies pay their workers. And remember the track record of moving every 9.5 years allows them NOT to allow their workers to be vested into a retirement program from the union. Years ago, it was calculated that all this manipulation has allowed the foreign companies to to have a MINIMUM of a $2500 cost advantage. I suspect that if the calculations were done today and on higher cost foreign vehicles, that advantage would be MUCH higher.

For those who are unable to understand what I have said, allow me to simplify. In 1975, the US Congress had a law to be voted on mandating a MAXIMUM 4 day work week! This at a point in time when the average middle income family had ONE breadearner with ONE job, although two breadearners each with one job was not uncommon. Compare that to today where each parent has 2 or MORE jobs in order to survive, not to live well like in the '70's. We, as taxpayers and employees were sold out by a VERY flawed economic decision from the Reagan administration and the damage continues.

In conclusion, I'd like to cite this definition of traitor:

Traitor - Definition

In law, treason is the crime of disloyalty to one's nation. A person who reneges on an oath of loyalty or a pledge of allegiance, and in some way willfully cooperates with an enemy, is considered to be a traitor. Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as: "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]."

I'd say that "citizens actions to help a foreign government.. seriously injure the [parent nation]" applies equally in the case of politics or economics.
That said, I'll never buy a product from a foreign based company.
First off competition is a good thing. It keeps our companies honest and prices down. BuT it it not good when there is unfair trade and countries like China who purposely lower their curreny in order to keep their products cheap.

There are two simple solutions to keeping and bringing back American Companies. Number one tariffs, Japanese send a Corolla here and it gets taxed around 2 grand or something, we send a 35k Buick to Japan and it sells for 50k because of tariffs. How do you compete with that. Second our corporate tax needs to be lowered to around 20% right now our corporate tax is highest in the world i beleive.

Now for quality think back 20-30 years ago, how often did you have to buy a new TV, VCR or wash machine, NEVER. Now these things are becoming yearly buys. On top of it without having manufacturing jobs we flat out do not have enough quality jobs for everybody. There is not enough jobs for people with college degrees.

Lastly Im sure Tundras and Titans are ok trucks and I think its BS to fight back and forth on well my Tundra never has to go into the shop when my ford did or my buddies chevy sucks. Guess what some vehicles are lemons and some of them depend on the driver and sometimes you either get lucky or you dont. My boss's tundra is in the shop monthly.
But being totally honest I do not see the quality in a Jap cars. Compare a corola or camry to malibu once, even compare a lexus to a Buick, no comparison the GM cars are better hands down. I could see buying a jap car maybe because of gas mileage but I couldnt see my self in a tundra or titan, i would be embarrsed.

Last edited by soldier4402; 12-13-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked

you couldnt have been more wrong

US-Assembled Cars Percent US/Canada content Name Corporate Profits
Ford Econoline 95% USA USA
Lincoln LS (production ended April 2006) 90% USA USA
Ford Escape 90% USA USA
Mercury Mariner 90% USA USA
Ford Ranger 90% USA USA
Cadillac DTS 90% USA USA
Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra 90% USA USA
Mazda Tribute (Ford) 90% JAPAN JAPAN
Mazda B-Series (Ford) 90% JAPAN JAPAN
Lincoln Town Car 85% USA USA
Mercury Mountaineer 85% USA USA
Ford F-Series 85% USA USA
Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, 85% USA USA
Buick Rainer, GMC Envoy, Chevrolet TrailBlazer 85% USA USA
Isuzu Ascender (GM) 85% JAPAN JAPAN
Dodge Viper 85% USA GERMANY
Isuzu i-Series (GM) 85% JAPAN JAPAN
Toyota Sienna 85% JAPAN JAPAN
Dodge Grand Caravan – SWB 83% USA GERMANY
Chrysler Town & Country – SWB 82% USA GERMANY
Chrysler Sebring convertible 82% USA GERMANY
Jeep Wrangler 82% USA GERMANY
Ford Five Hundred 80% USA USA
Ford Expedition 80% USA USA
Ford Explorer 80% USA USA
Ford Freestyle 80% USA USA
Lincoln Mark LT 80% USA USA
Cadillac CTS 80% USA USA
Pontiac Solstice 80% USA USA
Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac XLR 80% USA USA
Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6 80% USA USA
Cadillac SRX 80% USA USA
Dodge Caravan – SWB 80% USA GERMANY
Toyota Camry 80% JAPAN JAPAN
Toyota Tundra 80% JAPAN JAPAN
Dodge Durango 79% USA GERMANY
Dodge Stratus 78% USA GERMANY
Mitsubishi Raider (Dodge) 78% JAPAN JAPAN
Dodge Dakota 77% USA GERMANY
Chrysler Sebring 77% USA GERMANY
Jeep Commander 76% USA GERMANY
Mercury Montego 75% USA USA
Chevrolet Uplander, Pontiac Montana SV6, Saturn Relay 75% USA USA
Chevrolet Cobalt 75% USA USA
Honda Ridgeline 75% JAPAN JAPAN
Honda Pilot 75% JAPAN JAPAN
Toyota Avalon 75% JAPAN JAPAN
Toyota Corolla 75% JAPAN JAPAN

Despite massive cuts, GM and Ford employ more people than Toyota and Honda, and still make more cars here, on US soil. The most American car is still a Ford, followed by a Chevy, and the profit still stays here at home.

Last edited by soldier4402; 12-13-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't normally get involved in these kind of conversations but in this case I cannot stay out of it. It makes me angry when i here so many Americans try and justify why they would buy products from other countries. That's why our economy is in the shape it is in and will be the down fall of the country that I love so much, and I will have no part of it. I will continue to buy american products and continue to support my country at all costs.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Registered

I
Originally Posted by soldier4402
I couldnt find it but I thought there was a technique where the japanese buy our steel, bring it offshore than bring it back and save tons of money on tariffs and taxes and what not. I could be wrong but I thought I read this.
Wouldn't matter. US Steel has countries all over the globe (US, China, Brazil, Middle East, Canada, etc.) so they can buy it wherever is most convenient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.