Notices

Adding Breaks How many Axles??

Old 12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Breaks How many Axles??

Hey guys I have a 1990 sonic 28ss sitting on a 2000 Aluminum I beam type trailer with tripple axles. Trailer is rated at 10500, I assume each axle is a 3500lb axle. Currently trailer has no breaks and 1 broken axle. I would like to add electric breaking when I replace axle to make towing with my chevy avalanche not so scarry. How many axles do I need to add breaks to? I'm leaning toward electric so I can have breaks when backing down the ramp and hoping with the electric I can save the tranny and breaks on my avalanche.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Electric over hydraulic will be the best with Kodiaks on each axle. I have been rebuilding my tripple in stages. You might look at my thread on here.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't add electric and expect to back the trailer underwater.....you need electric over hydraulic. I'd put them on at least 2 axles and some states require them on all 3. If you've been towing that heavy pig without any BRAKES you've got bigger balls than I do!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered

Default the biggest just afraid they may start dragging

Ya I towed it 300 miles this fall with a 2010 F250 superduty diesel. Honestly if I had access to that truck whenever I wanted it I would not be upgrading I was so impressed with that truck in tow mode the tranny automatically held you back on most hills without abusing the brakes...my avalanch is a differant story so far that's been strictly short hops to the ramp and back
Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely EOH and disc on at least two of the three axles! Stay away from drum and surge! You won't be disappointed!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EOH is definitely the best way to go. Pretty strange that somebody ordered a triple axle trailer with NO brakes? Or are they there but just don't work? At least 2 axles should have brakes. You can probly get kits at Eastern Shore Marine in MD. They have a web site, pretty cheap prices and if you can drive there they have a good store with most parts in stock. No I don't work for them, lol. No elect brakes under water, so you'll have to plumb in hyd. lines. If your starting from scratch you might as well get the disc set ups but if drums are there but repairable they will work with the EOH just not as good stopping power, IMO.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered

Yea there is definatly nothing there as far as brakes go. I bought the boat and trailer in KY last spring guy told me in KY they don't even need to register or get a liscense plate for trailers if they don't leave the state.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Registered

Hey fireboat you got eastern shore marines web address my search only brought up some place in alabama
Old 12-14-2011, 04:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a former owner of a boat trailer manufacturing company I would recommend electric over hydraulic, and disc brakes on all axels ALWAYS
Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered

whats the best eoh unit and any good prices on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.