Notices

Roaring sound from front end

Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ocala, Fl
Posts: 3,066
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Roaring sound from front end

Truck is 2007 F-150 KR 4 x 4 limited slip 3.73 w/towing package.

At around 105K miles I have suddenly developed a roaring sound from the front at low speeds...sounds almost like 35" madders on dry pavement. Tires are stock size Bridgestone Dulers with no weird wear pattern.

It does not grind, pop, click or have any metal on metal sound...just a roar. Does it in 4 or 2 wheel drive.

Any ideas because it seems to be getting worse.
sprink58 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 PM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,643
Received 877 Likes on 475 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sprink58
Truck is 2007 F-150 KR 4 x 4 limited slip 3.73 w/towing package.

At around 105K miles I have suddenly developed a roaring sound from the front at low speeds...sounds almost like 35" madders on dry pavement. Tires are stock size Bridgestone Dulers with no weird wear pattern.

It does not grind, pop, click or have any metal on metal sound...just a roar. Does it in 4 or 2 wheel drive.

Any ideas because it seems to be getting worse.

Wheel bearing is bad....
Jupiter Sunsation is offline  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:35 AM
  #3  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
denbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Bayport, NY
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by sprink58
Truck is 2007 F-150 KR 4 x 4 limited slip 3.73 w/towing package.

At around 105K miles I have suddenly developed a roaring sound from the front at low speeds...sounds almost like 35" madders on dry pavement. Tires are stock size Bridgestone Dulers with no weird wear pattern.

It does not grind, pop, click or have any metal on metal sound...just a roar. Does it in 4 or 2 wheel drive.

Any ideas because it seems to be getting worse.
check the fan clutch
denbo is offline  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 AM
  #4  
Were doomed!
Charter Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,628
Received 881 Likes on 443 Posts
Default

First thing i would do is raise the front end and rotate the wheels by hand and see if you have any grinding or noise when they turn. Then rotate the tires....front to back and the backs to the front and see if the noise follows..may have a tire with some bad/broken belts inside. If nothing with those first two things then remove the front drive shaft and take it for a drive....maybe the front diff gears are going bad....after that its time to bite the bullet and take her in to a pro for a checkup..
__________________
-Wally

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Wally is offline  
Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 AM
  #5  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baton Rouge La.
Posts: 2,297
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hub assembly. Jack the truck up an rock the wheel from top tp bottom.
akaboatman is offline  
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 PM
  #6  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ocala, Fl
Posts: 3,066
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Turns out it was the drivers side hub assembly. The wheel bearings are sealed inside this assembly...not serviceable...R & R unit. Replaced the rotors at the same time...cheap Chinese junk...warped at less than 25000 miles. Bought HD Brembos this time.

All is well.
sprink58 is offline  
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM
  #7  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Between A Womans Leggs in IL
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by sprink58
Turns out it was the drivers side hub assembly. The wheel bearings are sealed inside this assembly...not serviceable...R & R unit. Replaced the rotors at the same time...cheap Chinese junk...warped at less than 25000 miles. Bought HD Brembos this time.

All is well.
Brembo's are still made in china,,,a good rotor will look like chrome because of the high
nickel content,also a good rotor wont rust as fast..
FIXX is offline  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 AM
  #8  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ocala, Fl
Posts: 3,066
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Brembo's are still made in china,,,a good rotor will look like chrome because of the high
nickel content,also a good rotor wont rust as fast..
In all fairness...I did crowd that last pair at times. Pulling the 255 with no trailer brakes plus a few slow downs from 120+ (programer) didn't help.
sprink58 is offline  
Old 04-27-2012, 12:12 PM
  #9  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (5)
 
johnnyboatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NO WHERE
Posts: 3,358
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

hub assembily
johnnyboatman is offline  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:59 PM
  #10  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ocala, Fl
Posts: 3,066
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
hub assembily
Exactly.
sprink58 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.