Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Which year was the best Ford F250 Diesel Engine? >

Which year was the best Ford F250 Diesel Engine?

Notices

Which year was the best Ford F250 Diesel Engine?

Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by West
Is it a pain in the butt to have to deal with the DEF fillups?
I was wondering about that myself on the new ones. How often are you guys filling that up?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
13-14 year old technology...........gee, let me dig out my old turbo 486 PC to respond to this over AOL dial-up. LOL
True. No doubt about it. The new 6.7's are indeed incredible pieces of technology running 400hp and 800 ft-lbs of torque, but along with all that come other complications and a whole new plethora of associated failure points. The engines themselves are strong, but I'm hearing a lot about NOX sensor failures, DEF faults, HPFP failures from hyper-sensitivity to wet fuel, etc. If one were to simply asked which Ford diesel was/is the best...simply put, I think that most folks would agree that the most dependable, most reliable, most bulletproof engine was indeed the old 7.3s. The comfortable average lifespan was easily 300K+ miles without any worry.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sleev-les
I was wondering about that myself on the new ones. How often are you guys filling that up?
Not really a pain at all. Just a minor annoyance. It's relatively cheap and you can fine it at most every gas station car parts place anymore. The average I'm hearing is that the 2.5 gallons will last approximately 5,000 miles, depending on usage and driving habits. Ironically, the harder you work the trucks, the longer it lasts. You can't let it get low though, because the computer will begin squawking at you with warnings, until eventually it goes into limp mode until finally the truck will simply shut down. Thanks to the government's infinite wisdom.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

3/4 of the time I let the dealer install everytime while getting an oil change..its the same cost as I can get at the truck stops..they just pour it in.. On the Fords its right next to the gas cap..on my GMC its under the hood..a little more of a pita. The 12 Cummins HO it is not required, but that will change for 13... Just turned 109k today on the 11 F250...running strong.

Last edited by Jassman; 05-15-2012 at 12:19 PM.