Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners >

tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners

Notices

tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners

Old 06-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Forbid it should ever happen, but........ you blow an engine in the GM 6.2L. It is readily available, as a whole unit, and far less to repair in both labor and parts.

Same with the Tuna, Oh I mean Tundra....... labor and parts, engine not available in one piece, are nearly so cost prohibitive that purchasing a new truck becomes competitive.

I'm not poo poooing, just stating real possibilities that I have to present to my own customers. I loose jobs over the import parts price but hey......... it's not my truck.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I pulled both my 242 Formula's with a 6.0L Sierra and it did well. Even better the 6.2L has variable valve timing that the 6.0L does not until around 2010.

The 2500 chassis has one advantage in emission counties.... it is exempt. That is one reason I went with it.

A 6.2L will run circles around the 6.0L. I'm just sayin.

Last edited by aquaforce; 06-18-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from driving a 2012 silverado ltz with the 6.2 and although I loved the power and ride I was a little disappointed with the interior. They changed the wood grain to a light gray metallic look this year and doesnt look that great in my opinion. Plus it didnt have navigation or back up cam which are definitely not deal breakers but would be nice. The guy tried to sale it to me so I said ok lets see what you can do and he only came down 700 so I said no thanks. Also tried to drive a tundra at another lot but it was closed. Im gonna have to drive a tundra and denali or gmc as well. The denali is usually just more exspensive and I would rather have 4wd with low range capability but am sure the awd is fine. The hunt is still on thanks guys..
Old 06-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

What is the max tow rating on the denali anyways? Is it only less because of softer springs?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ckcgobigblue
I just got back from driving a 2012 silverado ltz with the 6.2 and although I loved the power and ride I was a little disappointed with the interior. They changed the wood grain to a light gray metallic look this year and doesnt look that great in my opinion. Plus it didnt have navigation or back up cam which are definitely not deal breakers but would be nice. The guy tried to sale it to me so I said ok lets see what you can do and he only came down 700 so I said no thanks. Also tried to drive a tundra at another lot but it was closed. Im gonna have to drive a tundra and denali or gmc as well. The denali is usually just more exspensive and I would rather have 4wd with low range capability but am sure the awd is fine. The hunt is still on thanks guys..
That metal gray and wood is interchangeable I think. My 08 has a mix of both, I like the wood look too but some people want just the gray. Should be able to find one w/ wood if you want.

If GM Preferred Pricing (supplier pricing) puts you in a Denali/LTZ/SLT over a Toyota PM me I can hook you up.

Last edited by rlj676; 06-18-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered

If you drive a Tundra...hope you are towing a sailboat.

Yep...I just shifted the thread to Jap vs American...sorry. lol
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 AM
Registered

Towing capacity is 9200lbs for the GMC Denali AWD. I tow my Formula with it to Florida from Jersey, the power is impressive, you do not need 4 low to pull a ramp, the brakes stop whatever you need to and keeps everything straight. I got 10mpg towing around 10k lbs down I95 and pulls the hills like a champ. I just had to get use to the 6spd automatic while towing the computer thinks alot and does more downshifting than when you tow with a 4spd obviously. Ive towed my 26pc with it and my pop's 312 fastech with it and a few car trailers and it just performs.

Dont let anyone fool you either about the Denali is just a different name on the side, you have a different truck. Accelerate in rain in any other pickup and let me know how that works out for you.... The interior fit and finish is awesome and the heated and cooled seats are pretty comfy especially when you hit the standard equipped autostart and it turns them on. If you have any more questions let me know...

Here's some pics of my truck towing my boat.

Here's when I was hooked up to my pops boat (He usually tows his boat with an 04 Yukon Denali that has 321k miles on the 6.0L engine without any work other than regular mainenance.)

Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

What is the max tow rating on the denali anyways? Is it only less because of softer springs?
The AWD effects tow rating also, it's not the typical transfer case that can be fully engaged or disengaged. The transfer case is an open differential front to rear. The ABS system controls wheel slippage by applying the brakes. I love the way the Denali looks but I need a real transfer case with equal power going to front and rear. The other advantage of the GM 6.2, if the 410hp isn't enough, a few mods and you can have more. My brother has the Silverado with the MAX package. It has a 10,500lb tow rating and with the 6.2L and I believe it. I have a fairly modified 03 Suburban with the 5.3 and he pulls on me like I hit the brakes.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

A couple things are unclear, are you looking at new 2012 or something used? Also assume only 1500 vs 2500HD.
Check out the catalog for all comparisons - http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/g...a-brochure.pdf

Due to the softer progressive springs, Denali gives up 250# in both rear spring rating and payload. 3950/4200 and 1623/1928
Suprisingly, both are listed at 9400# for "conventional" trailering. The Denali will tend to sag relatively faster with lighter weights as this softer spring is what gives a "cushier" ride.
9400# is there because of the 3.42 axle (same for Denali and SLT/LTZ). Step up to the 3.73 offered only on the non-Denali because the AWD is 3.42 axle specfic and towing increases to 10,400#

Check the actual hitch rating. Mfg are notorious for giving only the higher WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING value. Boat trailers are non-WD due to surge brakes and use a lower value. (there is one company that has a compatable surge-WD system but it is not cost/time effective vs buying a better hitch) An aftermarket hitch may be necessary to obtain higher hitch ratings. (due to mfg using cheap/light steel hitch, GM did step up a little starting in 2011 on their HD hitch ratings but I dont know if they did on the 1500 too?)

Last edited by ChargeIt; 06-19-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Made my first long trip towing with my Tundra Crew Max, 5.7l tow package this weekend. I was kinda hoping for better mileage towing, got 8 mph going up and down small grades the whole way from CNY to the 1000 islands.

Pros- Chassis is great, good power, great mirrors, comfy seats, back up cam, jbl stereo, stock class V hitch

Cons- the manual shift mode ignores you, truck will take over and shift anyway.....or not shift. 4 low constantly beeps that you are in 4 low when pulling out, just annoying. No chance of keeping speed up grades like a diesel unless you pound the piss out of it. Still....I love the truck.

Diesels are still the best choice for towing these boats, however over the past few years they have become cumbersome to use as a daily driver.

I have not driven a new GM 6.2 so I have no insight for you there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.