Notices

Upgrade to E/H or not?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to E/H or not?

I've got a 2004 Myco tandem axle trailer that sits under a 35' Fountain. The boat stays on a lift most of the time, but I do trailer 3-4X / year and when I do, it's 500+ miles round trip.

I currenlty have surge brakes (Titan Model 20) and the coupler needs some TLC in the form of master cylinder, new lockout solenoid, probably dampner shocks, etc. By the time I rebuild the coupler it would probably be easier to replace it.

So, at that point I start thinking, "how about upgrading to E/H?" I've read both good and bad reviews on here and other forums - it seems like when the E/H systems work, they're great but some have problems with the controllers (I have a 2012 F250 SD 6.7L as a towing rig).

Given my situation, I'm looking for opinons: stay with the surge brakes or upgrade to E/H? Cost is a consideration, but when I think about what I have tied up in the whole setup the cost differential seems pretty minor.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rufnek100
I've got a 2004 Myco tandem axle trailer that sits under a 35' Fountain. The boat stays on a lift most of the time, but I do trailer 3-4X / year and when I do, it's 500+ miles round trip.

I currenlty have surge brakes (Titan Model 20) and the coupler needs some TLC in the form of master cylinder, new lockout solenoid, probably dampner shocks, etc. By the time I rebuild the coupler it would probably be easier to replace it.

So, at that point I start thinking, "how about upgrading to E/H?" I've read both good and bad reviews on here and other forums - it seems like when the E/H systems work, they're great but some have problems with the controllers (I have a 2012 F250 SD 6.7L as a towing rig).

Given my situation, I'm looking for opinons: stay with the surge brakes or upgrade to E/H? Cost is a consideration, but when I think about what I have tied up in the whole setup the cost differential seems pretty minor.

Thanks!
I just went thru 3 months of crap get'n my e/h brakes work'n right on my BRAND NEW myco!! we found multiple leaking fittings, improper fittings, etc but once I finally found somebody 2 get it all in good work'n order they work fantastic!!! I am tow'n prolly 16-17K & have'n on demand brakes I feel is a must!!!! good luck!!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Registered

Given as many miles as your towing, I wouldnt think twice about it, especially if you're dunking the trailer in salt. You just have to make sure that the the controller that you use is compatible with the actuator. The easiest thing to do is call the mfg. of the actuator and they will tell you point blank if the controller you want to use will work with their parts.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I converted to e/h and I think it is great and would recommend it for anyone building a new trailer. It is a fairly inexpensive upgrade over surge when new but a fairly expensive conversion. It's probably worth it to upgrade if the places you tow to are anything other than flat and easy driving without a lot of stops. I think it's worth $1,000+/- just to get rid of the clunking IMO.

I have a Titan 20 actuator for sale if your interested in replacing your current coupler.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...-actuator.html
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

NIGHT and DAY towing difference between surge and EoH. Worth every penny!! Wrink is the only one who has had such a serious problem, and it was due to multiple product and people failures out of the gate; atypical and sad; but definately not a deterent from a far superior system.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
NIGHT and DAY towing difference between surge and EoH. Worth every penny!! Wrink is the only one who has had such a serious problem, and it was due to multiple product and people failures out of the gate; atypical and sad; but definately not a deterent from a far superior system.
Agreed B, they work great when right!!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it to all my trailers a few years ago and will never go back. I haul alot of boats and hate it when I have a surge brake trailer behind me.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered

Think I'm sold - $1000 on its face isn't chump change, but then again that's a good weekend in gas, isn't it?!? Titan sells the adapter to run with the newer Ford & Chevy trucks (looking at the EHB system), so as long as I get my install done properly that's the way to go. Sorry you had issues wrink and I'll cross my fingers my conversion goes smoothly. I think it would be worth $1000 to get rid of the clunk!

Thanks again for the insight - I knew E/H were definitely superior to surge, but was torn on the upgrade due to the fact that the boat lives on the lift most of the time and could I justify it for towing 2-3X / year.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I converted surge to straight electric and love it. Why keep the hydraulic and maintain two systems?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rufnek100
Think I'm sold - $1000 on its face isn't chump change, but then again that's a good weekend in gas, isn't it?!? Titan sells the adapter to run with the newer Ford & Chevy trucks (looking at the EHB system), so as long as I get my install done properly that's the way to go. Sorry you had issues wrink and I'll cross my fingers my conversion goes smoothly. I think it would be worth $1000 to get rid of the clunk!

Thanks again for the insight - I knew E/H were definitely superior to surge, but was torn on the upgrade due to the fact that the boat lives on the lift most of the time and could I justify it for towing 2-3X / year.
have a buddy w/ a 37 Active Thunder that is think'n bout the same conversion!!! Make sure ya get the proper unit based on if U have drum or disc brakes! the disc unit has a higher psi rating!!! Good luck, keep us posted how it goes!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.