Notices

So, This Happened Today

Old 09-16-2012, 10:59 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why is it Rocket's fault? Rocket doesn't make their axles or frame mounts... they buy them from the same place(s) the rest of the builders too....
Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

But they cut corners everywhere! Look how far inside the axle the trailer I-beam is mounted, allowing a lot of flex of the exterior axle. They cut more corners than a first year woodshop teacher; meager-engineering vs. over-engineering.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:27 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

actually the frame rails with the bunks on top of them are exactly under the flat of the strakes, where they should be... but you have a valid point that the overall axle width could have been narrower to decrease that *gap* due to the narrower rails... length is fine, beam thickness is fine, overhang is fine..

at least it's not 2_foot_too_short, like most of them down here are built
Old 09-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i would put three new 6lug, or 8lug type axles under it, cheaper than a new one, i would think what caused that was alot of tight turning twisting the axles.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

This looks like it was one of the first low low budget Rocket trailer builds. They decided to delete the large vertical wood bunks and started mounting thinner wood bunks to the tops of the frame rails. I can see this being better for support. However, this trailer appears to be BEFORE they started going to narrower axles which actually put the fenders almost completely under the hull.

Many, many Sonics were delivered on Rocket trailers, especially in the Mid-Atlantic. This goes back to a strong alliance that Jay had with Armando at Rocket way back in the day.

My Sonic had a Rocket under it. I speak from experience. That trailer was terrible.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
i would think what caused that was alot of tight turning twisting the axles.

My 1st thought too. Those tri axles really like to twist up when turning. Someone ought to make the 3rd axle a floater, for lack of the correct name. Wheels turn instead of scuffing.

Be thankful is was the last axle and not the 1st!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
My 1st thought too. Those tri axles really like to twist up when turning. Someone ought to make the 3rd axle a floater, for lack of the correct name. Wheels turn instead of scuffing.

Be thankful is was the last axle and not the 1st!
Thinking back, I believe I know what started this. In early August, I was coming back from Michigan through Wisconsin on Hwy 29. It's an odd highway in that there are crossing roads. Someone had spilled chunks of concrete all the way across both lanes. I saw it as I was passing a semi and had nowhere to go but over it. The trailer bounced up a bit. I stopped and inspected everything which all looked good, But, I bet this caused stress that led to the welds breaking.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

also the tires if theyre not trailer type the grab more when being twisted instead of sliding.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Cool

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
also the tires if theyre not trailer type the grab more when being twisted instead of sliding.
Really? I never thought about that, but I imagine if trailer tires were made from a harder rubber, that would be true.

Many folks and manufactures run LT truck tires on their trailers. (That is what Myco ships on their trailers that are not dually trailers?

Anyone have a rubber comparison on LT vs. ST tires?

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-16-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
This looks like it was one of the first low low budget Rocket trailer builds. They decided to delete the large vertical wood bunks and started mounting thinner wood bunks to the tops of the frame rails. I can see this being better for support. However, this trailer appears to be BEFORE they started going to narrower axles which actually put the fenders almost completely under the hull.

Many, many Sonics were delivered on Rocket trailers, especially in the Mid-Atlantic. This goes back to a strong alliance that Jay had with Armando at Rocket way back in the day.

My Sonic had a Rocket under it. I speak from experience. That trailer was terrible.

Did rocket ever have any other names my sonic that i bought from kentucky is on a "fast load" and I had the rear axle snap last spring just wondering if there's any connection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.