Notices

So, This Happened Today

Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Tie Down Junk Again

Those are TIE DOWN JUNK AXLES !! Junk when brand new...Its a wonder someone was not killed in a car following you.............
Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Wow, what a bummer..

Sorry that happened..sucks.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by HEDGEHOGER
Did rocket ever have any other names my sonic that i bought from kentucky is on a "fast load" and I had the rear axle snap last spring just wondering if there's any connection
Not that I know of.

Not every Rocket trailer is junk. Not every junk trailer is a Rocket. I've seen plenty of other trailers falling apart, and a lot has to do with age, upkeep, and how you treat it.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thats why you got insurance. Call insurance get the trailer totalled and get a new one easy. Every brand has potential to be junk along with operator error not helping(not saying this was operator error).
Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by soldier4402
thats why you got insurance. Call insurance get the trailer totalled and get a new one easy. Every brand has potential to be junk along with operator error not helping(not saying this was operator error).
You got to be kidding. You get what you pay for. I once bought a Float-On and I never will again. And, who needs the aggrevation of getting left on the side of the road, not to mention if someone does get hurt. I hope you have plenty of liability coverage.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
actually the frame rails with the bunks on top of them are exactly under the flat of the strakes, where they should be... but you have a valid point that the overall axle width could have been narrower to decrease that *gap* due to the narrower rails... length is fine, beam thickness is fine, overhang is fine..

at least it's not 2_foot_too_short, like most of them down here are built
Just my opinion but full width axles are much more stable. I would never buy a trailer that wasn't between 8-8'6" overall width. Also 10,000# boat = 15,000# trailer, when backing into a steep ramp all the weight can be on one axle and can cause serious stress to axle and mounting components if they aren't rated for more than what your'e hauling.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Registered

Default Trailer

I agree with Johnyboatman on the tires. Owned a triple axle that had automotive tires....never... never again. The sidewalls flex tons when you turn, the tread foot print just seems to get wider as you turn harder. Switched to bias ply (years ago) trailer tires. Holy sh... night and day difference. It always seemed to be moving behind us until we put on the trailer tires. Our Apache trailer has big 8 lug axles with trailer radials and rated at 15,000# It twists the back axle big time coming out to our road, wife hates the look of it. Doesn't phase it one bit.
Steve
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by unimog1300
I agree with Johnyboatman on the tires. Owned a triple axle that had automotive tires....never... never again. The sidewalls flex tons when you turn, the tread foot print just seems to get wider as you turn harder. Switched to bias ply (years ago) trailer tires. Holy sh... night and day difference. It always seemed to be moving behind us until we put on the trailer tires. Our Apache trailer has big 8 lug axles with trailer radials and rated at 15,000# It twists the back axle big time coming out to our road, wife hates the look of it. Doesn't phase it one bit.
Steve
Do you guys think my trailer has automotive tires or are you just talking? These are Kumho 857 radial trailer tires and are the only load range D tires I could find for a 14" rim. Actually, if I didn't have them, I never would have made it home 15 miles on 2 axles.

The insurance company hired a marine surveyor to take a look and he said I have a legitimate claim. It's just a matter of numbers, now. The cost of repair is very close to the cost to total it out. Either way, I'll have a new trailer in the spring and it will be overkill.

Last edited by Plum_Crazy; 10-03-2012 at 10:36 PM.