Notices

7.3 powerstroke is sick.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
I have been having the same issue, I changed out the IDM, still cuts out or off, changed cam sens, still same issue, oil change no help. Pulled cover to check injector wire connection, all good. Noticed icp was was saturated with oil, chaged it and wiring harness. Truck ran great till coming back from deer hunting, stalled out completely at a stop sign, restarted and drove 200 plus miles with no issues. I hae been chasing this for 8months. I am heading to the shop tomorrow to see what else. If I find the problem I will post for ya. I know lots of 7.3 ae having the same exact problems but no one has the fix.

Rick
What year and how many miles?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What year and how many miles?
2001 excursion. 126k...

Rick
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

I have been having the same issue, I changed out the IDM, still cuts out or off, changed cam sens, still same issue, oil change no help. Pulled cover to check injector wire connection, all good. Noticed icp was was saturated with oil, chaged it and wiring harness. Truck ran great till coming back from deer hunting, stalled out completely at a stop sign, restarted and drove 200 plus miles with no issues. I hae been chasing this for 8months. I am heading to the shop tomorrow to see what else. If I find the problem I will post for ya. I know lots of 7.3 ae having the same exact problems but no one has the fix.

Rick
check the pressure at the high pressure oil pump...airated fuel wil play a big role..
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

2001 excursion. 126k...

Rick
Thanks. Just taking notes as I have a 2000.

There are a fair amount of differences between the OP's and the 1999.5 and up models.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
check the pressure at the high pressure oil pump...airated fuel wil play a big role..
Thanks for the advice, I will deffinatley have that checked, it's been a nightmare!

Rick
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Thanks. Just taking notes as I have a 2000.

There are a fair amount of differences between the OP's and the 1999.5 and up models.
Are you having the same issues?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Showtime, ford has some recalls on some sensors you may want to look into. Not sure if it will fix your problem but worth taking advantage of. I will let you know what fixes mine to save you some steps and money hopefully !

Rick
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

A bad PCM will shut down one bank of cylinders. The PCM sends the injector signal to the idm which converts it into an a/c voltage to fire the injectors. Also check the harness over the drivers valve cover. Just below the big square connector sometimes the harness will chafe and short.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by lil red
A bad PCM will shut down one bank of cylinders. The PCM sends the injector signal to the idm which converts it into an a/c voltage to fire the injectors. Also check the harness over the drivers valve cover. Just below the big square connector sometimes the harness will chafe and short.
Thanks for the info, I will check that out for sure!!! Every time I think I found the problem it pokes it's head out again. I've changed everything imaginable

I've been on the power stroke forum and there are lots of people having the same problem showtime and myself are having. But know one has the cure!!!

Rick
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

It can also be the valve cover harness, the loose connection is on the INSIDE of the valve cover, someone said they made sure it was tight at valve cover, but did they pull the cover? the oil will make the locking tab weak, makes the truckm do all kinds of crazy things, I used a wire tie to lift tab to lock so it is impossible to loosen, was cheaper then a new harness...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.