Notices

7.3 powerstroke is sick.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.3 powerstroke is sick.

I started having random cut outs and power loss. I plugged in my scanner and had no power to it, so I thought it was dead, took to autozone, that one did not read either. No power to the port, number 3 fuse was popped for some reason. Replaced fuse, my scanner showed a p1316 code, the autozone scanner did not pick up anything. P1316, IDM/injection circuit fault. Truck had complete loss of power today, it would stay running, would shut off and restart. After nursing it home a few miles, I crawled under it to check the manifolds, drivers side cold, passenger side out. My egt probe is in my drivers side manifold which would explain why it was running cold on the gauge. What are the chances of it being the under valve cover harness? Not the IDM? Any recommendations on if it is the UVC on what parts to buy? Factory ford or off brand? Truck is a early 99 with quite a few mods. This is the first major problem I have been chasing other than CPS, glow plug relays and transmissions.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more like an IDM to me but don't take my word for it. You a member of powerstroke nation or the powerstroke org?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered

if it was the gasket you would be getting injector and glow plug codes as well.. IDM's are a common problem on the 7.3's....another indication is you would have a hard time starting the engine when its cold,,it will crank forever and plunging it into the 120volt cord would be the only way it would start..
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rbesola
Sounds more like an IDM to me but don't take my word for it. You a member of powerstroke nation or the powerstroke org?
Not a member but I have searched a lot on there. I know there are some good ford guys on here so I thought I would ask here. The dieselstop and other powerstroke forums, all searches I have done point to the UVC harness. I hope its not the idm, just wondering if anyone else has chased this problem, first thing I checked was the plug outside the the valver cover and it was still in tight. When my friends IDM(2000 truck) went bad, it lost everything and would not start, this problem started as intermittent, and is now constant.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Default idm

i have built alot of powerstrokes... go to swamps diesel.. have then build you a idm.. they are awesome and about the same price if not cheaper then factory.. it changes the injector waves and gains alot of power... i was very impressed when i pluged my new idm in vs factor
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

It idles but that it? It is probably the throttle wire... they are known to pop fuese due to short or just plain ol break casuing that to just idle... that wire is located by steering column, cannot remember color though..
Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Registered

It will drive, but runs very very rough, after a couple mile limp home, the exhaust manifold on the driver side was way cooler than the passenger side, I could hold my hand on it. First things I did before I pulled codes(due to bad fuse and not being able to pull them) fuel filter, and changed out cps with my spare brand new one. Only code is p1316 injector circuit/IDM. SES light comes on when it acts up, all the time now. I will start by ohming out the harness tomorrow if I get time, if that shows good, I guess new IDM? Its not the throttle wire because it will try and make power.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by showtime83
It will drive, but runs very very rough, after a couple mile limp home, the exhaust manifold on the driver side was way cooler than the passenger side, I could hold my hand on it. First things I did before I pulled codes(due to bad fuse and not being able to pull them) fuel filter, and changed out cps with my spare brand new one. Only code is p1316 injector circuit/IDM. SES light comes on when it acts up, all the time now. I will start by ohming out the harness tomorrow if I get time, if that shows good, I guess new IDM? Its not the throttle wire because it will try and make power.
check your oil and make sure your not dumping fuel past the injector opdings and filling the crank case with fuel..i know you have a idm code but sometimes i have seen the idm stick the injectors on and hydrolock the engine,,usually you will have white smoke out the tail pipe tho..
Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been having the same issue, I changed out the IDM, still cuts out or off, changed cam sens, still same issue, oil change no help. Pulled cover to check injector wire connection, all good. Noticed icp was was saturated with oil, chaged it and wiring harness. Truck ran great till coming back from deer hunting, stalled out completely at a stop sign, restarted and drove 200 plus miles with no issues. I hae been chasing this for 8months. I am heading to the shop tomorrow to see what else. If I find the problem I will post for ya. I know lots of 7.3 ae having the same exact problems but no one has the fix.

Rick
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a thought, have you pulled the icp out and ran it to see if it drove better? Also, sounds crazy but check your battery's.

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.