Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Paging Sydways or WD hitch experts >

Paging Sydways or WD hitch experts

Notices

Paging Sydways or WD hitch experts

Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock Excursion springs allow spring wrap in the leaf springs, which allows the rear axle to slightly twist and steer the truck. I don't know if the add a leaf is engaged enough to prevent that, or if it, like the air bags, only helps carry the load in a flexible manner. If you go to The Diesel Stop dot Com, to the Excursion section, and do a search for both Radius Rods, and springs. You'll find much info on making the Excursion into a better handling pulling rig. I've learned as much there on my truck as I've here on my boat. You can get rid of the scary handling, and make the truck a pleasure to pull a boat with. Wish Ford had done that at the factory.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Holy crap I ordered everything last night and it showed up earlier today! That's free shipping too . Thanx Etrailer
Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Registered

So it seems I have no tongue weight, I didn`t realize it till i was moving some stuff around but I can lift the trailer tongue with my hands and move it up and down, I mean I`m strong but not that strong its kinda like a teeter totter

Now that the boat has extension boxes and #`4s thats some weight hanging off the back. Not sure if that makes a difference.. I can move the rear bottom two bunks about 3-4" forward and move the boat forward on the trailer, not sure if thats enough.. what else can I do for more tongue weight?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Registered

Basically, all you can do is move the load forward, move the axles back, reduce the load behind the axles, increase the load up front. Some of those are not going to be very possible, so you may have to focus on what you can do.

Moving the boat even a few inches can make a difference, and you certainly need to do that.

You also need to stop guessing, and get to a real truck scale that measures by the axle to figure out what you tongue weight it.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
So it seems I have no tongue weight, I didn`t realize it till i was moving some stuff around but I can lift the trailer tongue with my hands and move it up and down, I mean I`m strong but not that strong its kinda like a teeter totter

Now that the boat has extension boxes and #`4s thats some weight hanging off the back. Not sure if that makes a difference.. I can move the rear bottom two bunks about 3-4" forward and move the boat forward on the trailer, not sure if thats enough.. what else can I do for more tongue weight?
add tool box's to the front and lead in the bottom's..cant slide the axles back,,that would require more paint work..thats gonna be alot of lead,,your gonna need at leaste 750 lbs..
Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
add tool box's to the front and lead in the bottom's..cant slide the axles back,,that would require more paint work..thats gonna be alot of lead,,your gonna need at leaste 750 lbs..
While that would work, He is already pulling a heavier trailer than he should, so that should be his last option. Though, the tool box idea is always a good one.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I know with a semi truck and a sliding 5th wheel, a few inches can go a long way in changing the weight on the axles.

Considering the boat used to have 454's with Trs drives, and now has blowers, ext boxes, Ssm drives, a swim platform, and drive guard extensions, you added a lot of weight behind the axles.

I'd definitely try movin the boat forward. Just watch the water pickups, and make sure the outer bunks won't smash into the tabs if they are down. Keep in mind fuel in the belly tanks will add some tongue weight.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Well there ya go, I was going to say it must be a tongue weight issue. I towed a 42 fountain 1500 miles with an 2500 hd, and tow my hawk and various other 35-42' offshores all the time with my f350 with no issue 80-85 mph. If the brakes are good add the weight and move the boat as far forward as possible.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Registered

Default fixx

all bs a aide ,moving the boat forward could put you a the 700+ lb tongue weight..
Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Registered

Thanx for the replies... once the weather gets better I`ll hit up a launch and move that sucker forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.