Notices

DIY remote starters

Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
o yes you do,,it dont use the resister in the key like the old ones,,you need to figure which resister is in the vehicle and use a programed module with that resister number to tell the pcm that the key is in the ignition..
My bad. Don't know what I was thinking.

Go to Directed Electronic's website and look up both a 97 and 98 Chevy truck. See which one needs a module. Here's the link.
http://www.xpresskit.com/default.aspx.
Punch in the vehicle info on the home page.

Next go to their tech page and look up the schematics for each vehicle and see which one describes using an interface and which one doesn't.
Here's the link for that one if you can't find it. https://www.directechs.com/Default.aspx

I'm out.....

Buck
Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I hired a small Asian boy to start mine every morning, it just costs me some rice.

Joe you need to take that thing to my buddy In Brookfield for a nice Magnaflow exhaust, and then some 35% tint
You have a buddy that owns a exhaust shop? Plan on ordering the pre-cut tint on ebay for the front windows. did that on my last truck, cant beat it for like 12 bucks pre cut for you!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1997 Chevy/GMC trucks don't need transponder bypass and have nothing for resistors.... Like Buck said, 1998 and up. GM did use the resistors but not on the trucks. Most cars did use them.

I'm a dealer for Clifford and Avital, and I sell a ton of the Avital 4103's for a basic keyless entry/remote start. My price is $200 installed, or add $75 if an interface module is needed - I use Idatalink for those.

If you can find a good installer that's reasonable on price, it's worth the extra money to not have to mess with it and to have a warranty. Make sure and have a ride to take you home, there's no reason to sit around and wait.

On the other hand, if you MUST do it yourself, make sure and plan it out first. The problem with installing one of these is that if you don't have something right, or something goes wrong, you don't know how to troubleshoot it and figure out the problem.

And I want to re-iterate what Buck said, don't buy a damn Bulldog. I don't care if a customer pays triple, I won't install it in my shop.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jonyb
1997 Chevy/GMC trucks don't need transponder bypass and have nothing for resistors.... Like Buck said, 1998 and up. GM did use the resistors but not on the trucks. Most cars did use them.

I'm a dealer for Clifford and Avital, and I sell a ton of the Avital 4103's for a basic keyless entry/remote start. My price is $200 installed, or add $75 if an interface module is needed - I use Idatalink for those.

If you can find a good installer that's reasonable on price, it's worth the extra money to not have to mess with it and to have a warranty. Make sure and have a ride to take you home, there's no reason to sit around and wait.

On the other hand, if you MUST do it yourself, make sure and plan it out first. The problem with installing one of these is that if you don't have something right, or something goes wrong, you don't know how to troubleshoot it and figure out the problem.

And I want to re-iterate what Buck said, don't buy a damn Bulldog. I don't care if a customer pays triple, I won't install it in my shop.
Thank you sir. I appreciate that. Knew it, but its obvious he had no intention of listening. I'm also guessing he missed the sarcasm in my last post on this thread.

I do this for a living, not a hobby. I would not reply I'd I didn't know.

Been doing this for 15 years and I've NEVER seen a 97 that needed a module.

Buck
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by jonyb

Originally Posted by buck183
Thank you sir. I appreciate that. Knew it, but its obvious he had no intention of listening. I'm also guessing he missed the sarcasm in my last post on this thread.

I do this for a living, not a hobby. I would not reply I'd I didn't know.

Been doing this for 15 years and I've NEVER seen a 97 that needed a module.

Buck
Call it how ever you see it,,i see the 2 i have in my lot a 06/97 gmc 1500 that has a security light when you turn the ignition on and a 03/97 chevy k 3500 with a F engine that also has a security light when you first turn the engine on..
Frankly i dont give a S H I T either way..Gang bangin and your sarcasm will get you no where in life..im done on this topic..joe will figer it out,either he needs it or he dont period..next!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Registered

Call it how ever you see it,,i see the 2 i have in my lot a 06/97 gmc 1500 that has a security light when you turn the ignition on and a 03/97 chevy k 3500 with a F engine that also has a security light when you first turn the engine on..
Frankly i dont give a S H I T either way..Gang bangin and your sarcasm will get you no where in life..im done on this topic..joe will figer it out,either he needs it or he dont period..next!
Cool.

The security light has zero bearing on whether or not it has a passlock system in it.

The 95 I owned had a security light too.

Buck
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by buck183
Cool.

The security light has zero bearing on whether or not it has a passlock system in it.

The 95 I owned had a security light too.

Buck
i just put a ecm in the 97 3500 and had to flash to accept the ecm with the tech II..truck would not start...well it started for a second then the security stayed on and you know what that means..key on for 10 min then off for 15 seconds,on etc etc..
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Registered

i just put a ecm in the 97 3500 and had to flash to accept the ecm with the tech II..truck would not start...well it started for a second then the security stayed on and you know what that means..key on for 10 min then off for 15 seconds,on etc etc..
Yep.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done several of these and never needed anything. AND just to make sure, I checked all of the places that I get info from.

Directechs
xpresskit.com
Idatalink.com
the12volt.com

None of them say that a resistor is required, which backs up what I say. Here's a link to the12volt site if you want to check for yourself: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...etail/478.html

If not, go get mad or be an a$$hole somewhere else. I've installed these for 18 years. If you don't want to take my word for it, find someone else to offer free tech support.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

The passlockII is a garbage system to begin with! I have had my last 3 GM trucks with the passlockII lock me out with a no start when the contacts in the key cyl went bad.....the current truck i have right now, i had a custom program installed and had the tuner turn the passlockII off....no more worries!
I too have installed a few hundred of these systems as i used to work for a company that did all the alram/remote start systems for the dealerships in the area....wasnt uncommon for me to be installing 5-6 per day...anyway we used the Audiovox Pursuit and prestige models....they all made by DEI or AVital anyway...but what i would look for in a system if i was in the market......that the system had buit in relays....i hated having to add relays for door locks or parking lights etc.... some you cant avoid like if the car/truck works on a can bus system and needs certain values to trigger different things

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.