Notices

DIY remote starters

Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Now you're just talking dirty!! I like that idea of starting it via my bag phone.

Thanks for all the info guys, appreciate it. Its a old truck, but a major modern upgrade from my 1989 dually. This one has a....get this.....a factory Compact disc player!!!! I gotta figure out how to fit my cassettes in it.
Nice lookin new ride Joe, but how you gonna park it by the garage for a few hours of install work ???????????
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by paulb32
Nice lookin new ride Joe, but how you gonna park it by the garage for a few hours of install work ???????????
Easy, it fits in the garage! Now that I cleaned most of the junk out of there
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Easy, it fits in the garage! Now that I cleaned most of the junk out of there
You have a garage?

If ned be he could use mine or im sure mike t would also...

p.s. mine has free heat lol...
Old 11-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 Ford F150 and I am thinking of adding a remote start. What is the best brand? How does the remote start interact with the factory key? Is there any way to incorporate the remote start button into the factory key? Can you give me an estimate of the cost for the unit and install?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mpally
I have a 2013 Ford F150 and I am thinking of adding a remote start. What is the best brand? How does the remote start interact with the factory key? Is there any way to incorporate the remote start button into the factory key? Can you give me an estimate of the cost for the unit and install?
you can actually get the plug and play model from ford the module just plugs in but you have to pull apart the liner and add the attena I think. Also from what I have been told the dealer must turn on your remote start I have heard from guys doing this they charge anywhere from nothing to 200 bucks to just turn it on. The module is around 200 bucks and can be bought on fords accessory website, and you can use the same key you got know it will just have one more button. I know this because I tried doing it for my 2011 F150.

Personally though you can get aftermarket where the range is 10 times for the same price. factory is only good for really as far as you can remote unlock. One thing with aftermarket you have to have a seperate key fob as far as I know there may be some option to not have to.

Basically you have a one way range can be 2-3000 feetm usually two buttons on and off. They are selling istalled around here for 130-170 bucks.

Two way is the other kind and heres where more options come in. two way basically starts your engine then sends a message back to your key fob saying your engine did in fact start. Two ways you can depending on which package you choose, have them go to your cell phone, tell the temp in your car, change the temp,auto start if it gets to cold and run. Etc. Most two way fobs unlock doors, trunks etc. I have seen these go from 250-600 bucks depending on which model. Also there range can go up to a mile and maybe further.

I just bought a two way for 249 installed, LCD Fob, unlocks doors, trunk, 3000ft range, tells temp in car for my F150.

So really if you dont get remote start from the factory your better off going aftermarket.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Registered

oh and all i know about brands is dont buy Viper. Honestly regardless of brand are probably all made in China, by the same people regardless of branding.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by mpally
i would not say its the bes but for many years i have had the one in my suburban and is still working is called auto page..company goes way back to the 80's before all thease other so calles name brand's..on thease so called name branda you can almost use anyones modules on anyones wire harness..they all look like they are the same mfr and all put their name on the module,,remotes are not the same tho..i had 2 fancy transmitters,5 yrs later i dropped then, cracked the face of them my keys fell in a puddle of water and shorted out the remotes,,i sent them back after 5 yrs of abuse and they gave me 2 new ons free of charge..

http://www.autopageusa.com/

Last edited by FIXX; 11-28-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
oh and all i know about brands is dont buy Viper. Honestly regardless of brand are probably all made in China, by the same people regardless of branding.
Don't buy Viper? Where do you get that?

I've sold DEI products since the early 90's and IMO, they're the best on the market. I sell/install Avital and Clifford currently, and have rarely had any come back.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jonyb
Don't buy Viper? Where do you get that?

I've sold DEI products since the early 90's and IMO, they're the best on the market. I sell/install Avital and Clifford currently, and have rarely had any come back.
No personal experience just what I have heard that is all.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Registered

Heard from who?

Anybody in the 12V business knows that anything DEI is a good product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.